Filipino schooling vs. American schooling

Third grade students reading from their textbook.

Megs Manalo

Megs Manalo

Eve Molly Esleta, Reporter. Philippine bureau

Students in the Philippines are used to a different schooling system than American schooling.

From 1945 to 2011, basic education in the Philippines took ten years to complete which were six years of elementary education and four years of high school education for children aged six up to fifteen. However, after the new implementation of the K–12 education system, basic education today takes thirteen years to complete which is now one year of kindergarten, six years of elementary education (1-6), four years of junior high school (7-10) and two years of senior high school (year 11 and 12) for children aged five up to seventeen. Kindergarten is mandatory in order to start elementary school. Many Filipinos wish to study abroad to get a better education.

“American schooling is high tech and balanced,” Bert De Torres said.

Classes in the Philippines have similar subjects that are also used by American schools.

“We have ten classes that are mandatory which are: Filipino, English, ESP *Education of a person* , math, science, epp *Education of Home Economics and Livelihood*, and ap *social studies. We also have music, arts, physical education, and health which we take each course for a week only,” sixth grader Venisse Ribay said.

Although teachers in the Philippines get their teaching technique from America, there are many other differences than just the subjects.

“Unlike in America where the students move to different classes, the teachers move to the classes where as the students stay put,” school teacher Miguela Manalo said.

If Filipino students were given a chance to get an education in America, their parents wouldn’t second guess it.

“American education and schooling is better, I’d like to bring my children to the States to get a better education,” Jerome Ribay said.

Even students that aren’t in elementary or high school agree that American schooling has a lot of benefits.

“I like how in America they use technology and the facilities are better. In the Philippines if the school is old, the technology is very slow and the school structure is shabby,” college student Migo Manalo said.