Small piece of East keeps New Year’s resolutions

Do you plan on following through with your New Year’s resolution(s) for next year?  Only 22% of Morton East students followed through with their New Year’s resolutions last year. 

A survey taken at Morton East High school of sophomores, juniors and seniors asked, “What were your New Year’s resolution(s)? Did you keep them?”, 39% of student’s New Year’s resolutions had to do with changing their appearance, 26% of student’s New Year’s resolutions had to do with school/work, 21% of student’s New Year’s resolutions had to do with changes in their personal life, and 14% of students didn’t make any New Year’s resolutions.  According to Business Insider, “80% of New Year’s resolutions fail by February”. Most Americans don’t follow through with their New Year’s resolutions because they are not emotionally there to change. People would rather stay the way they are than make the physical and emotional change of making a “new you”. Instead, people would rather stay the way they are for the rest of the year until the upcoming year, starting the cycle again.  

“I don’t get the point of new year’s resolution, if you want to change something in your life you wouldn’t wait for the beginning of the years to do so,” sophomore Jimmy Aguirre said.  

Senior Viviana Lopez doesn’t agree with Aguirre.  

“I think it’s great that people want to change for the next year. Personally, I always make New Year’s resolutions every year,” Lopez said. 

Senior Daniela Gamez agrees with Lopez  

“I think making a New Year’s resolution is great because you can start all over and do something you’ve always wanted to do,” Gamez said. 

Senior Claudia Del Toro agrees with Lopez and Gamez. 

“The point of New Year’s resolutions is to get people to change. New year, new you,” Del Toro said. 

When we asked who makes more resolutions, men or women, it seems that women are more likely to “keep” their resolutions but that usually end up giving them up by the second month.   

“Men are more likely to keep their resolutions; it’s easier for women to get sidetracked,” senior Oswaldo Guzman. 

Morton East graduate Sarah Rebolledo disagrees with Oswaldo. 

“I think New Year’s resolutions are more for women because they have more things they’d like to change about themselves. There’s a variety of things a woman could want to change such as the way she does her makeup or the way she does her hair. I think men are limited to what they can change,” Rebolledo said. 

Not everyone agrees that men are better at keeping their word. 

“Females are more likely to keep their resolutions because promises mean more to females,” senior Javier Enriquez said.  

Junior Liza Perez agrees with Enriquez.  

“Women tend to keep their New Year’s resolution more because they’re more mature and they can stick to stuff unlike some men,” Perez said. 

When asked about what are some ways people can achieve their new year’s resolution here’s what some people had to say. 

“Make them simple or not make them at all; if you’re not good at keeping your word don’t make a New Year’s resolution,” Senior Enriquez said. 

Junior Brenda Lupez agrees with Enriquez 

“Just keep your word and motivate yourself to actually accomplish your resolution,” Lupez said.