Blood drive saves lives, helps Snowball

Morton+East+Snowball+%28From+left+to+right%3A+Alex+Mendoza%2C+Mr.+Lunz%2C+Miriam+and+Mira+Maldonado%2C+Imelda+Nunos%2CTony+Marrero%2C+Karol+Garfias%2C+Erick+Lugano%2C+Melanie+Nava%2C+Erick+Munoz%2C+Natalia%29+adding+the+students+for+the+blood+drive+procedure.+
Morton East Snowball (From left to right: Alex Mendoza, Mr. Lunz, Miriam and Mira Maldonado, Imelda Nunos,Tony Marrero, Karol Garfias, Erick Lugano, Melanie Nava, Erick Munoz, Natalia) adding the students for the blood drive procedure.

Does that blood you donated (to get out of math or English class) actually help?  Yes, it does.

A blood drive is a place where people voluntarily go and donate blood and have a chance to save up to 3 lives. In Morton East High school, Life Source is the company in charge of the operation. Life source has been doing the blood drives since January 17, 1984, with the help from The Blood Center of Illinois and The American Red Cross Blood service. They have been doing this to help the people and the local hospitals get blood for the ones in need. But not all people could donate because there is a healthy procedure. In a random survey of 100 students, 38 students have donated blood before, while the rest haven’t.

Snowball is the club responsible for conducting the blood drive. Mr.Lunz, the snowball adviser, gave an insight of those who have donated.

” Students get to experience saving lives, they can actually save up to 3 lives. Donating blood is a very selfless act,” adviser Mr. Lunz said.

Ashley Ramirez gave the precautions a student has to take before donating blood.

“There have to be no drugs in your system and no major STDs/STIs. Also, a student should eat breakfast in the morning so they don’t feel weak after the blood is taken out. A lot of water has to be in your system during and after the blood procedure,” senior Ashley Ramirez said.

Michelle Muñoz, someone who has donated, gave her opinion on why she donates.

” I have donated blood every year since sophomore year. The first time I donated blood, I found out I was O positive, so I decided I will donate as much as I can,” senior Michelle Muñoz said.

Luis Olvera has been donating for multiple times.

“It is my 8th time donating blood, I also contribute to other blood drives. I donate blood because I feel like it’s a good thing to do. I feel relaxed when they take the blood out, I end up falling asleep,” senior Luis Olvera said.

Mr.Lunz gave an estimate on a number of people snowball should get.

“Around three hundred students have signed up for the blood drive. I believe that students get to do something that is truly bigger than them with all the lives they will save,” adviser Mr. Lunz said.