Morton East students go crazy over unhealthy chips

Andrea Ayala and Sergio Cardenas

East students love their Cheetos!

In a random survey of 100 students, 85% said they eat Cheetos every  day (at least 2 bags a day).  While 25% eat different kinds of chips (at least once a week.)   According to @healthyeating.sfgate.com, Hot Cheetos have about 180 calories in each bag.  Calories play a big role in weight control, because eating more calories than your body needs can lead to weight gain.   It also has about 290mg of sodium ( too much sodium increases cardiovascular disease, stroke and high blood pressure.)  While small amounts of sodium help our muscles and nerves work properly, eating it (chips) on a daily basis can cause water retention.

Eating a lot of chips can make you gain weight.

“I don’t think it affects me because I exercise,” junior Alex Pedraza said.

As long as you try to maintain a healthy diet, hot Cheetos will not affect you as much as people who just eat and don’t exercise.

“I eat them every day but I seriously need to stop!” sophomore Felicia Aguirre said.

Too much saturated fat can lead to weight gain.

“I limit how much junk food I buy so my children don’t get FAT!” Ms. Anderson said.

Different types of chips contain a different amount of calories.

“I eat baked potato chips because they are healthier than Hot Cheetos,” sophomore Julissa Carraza said.

Hot Cheetos contain about 170 calories, while baked potato chips only contain 110 calories.

“I know baked potato chips are healthier, but hot chips taste SO much better!” senior Juan Beltran said.

Hot Cheetos contain a lot of red food dye which can cause hemorrhoids(blood clots).

“My sister was sent to the E.R once because she ate a lot of Hot Cheetos and it made her REALLY sick,” junior Carlos Miranda said.

Eating a lot of Hot Cheetos can lead to massive stomach pains.

“I get stomach aches when I eat hot chips, Sometimes it hurts a little too much that it gets unbearable,” sophomore Stephanie Juarez said.

Hot Cheetos are snacks, not meals to be eating on a daily basis.

“I had Cheetos for six months straight and that’s all I would eat,” senior Kathy Moreno said.

Students don’t understand the consequences of eating TOO much Hot Cheetos.

“They just taste really good, so I don’t think about what it does to me,” junior Sergio Mendoza said.

29 Responses to “Morton East students go crazy over unhealthy chips”

1. Kent Frankforher on November 19th, 2014 5:00 pm

I’ve left Cheeto prints on papers before while grading….I know they constitute junk food but it’s a guilty pleasure of mine.

2. Yuliana Hernandez on November 20th, 2014 8:32 am

I eat baked hot Cheetos for lunch and hearing all this info won’t make stop eating them!

3. Maria Macedo on November 20th, 2014 8:42 am

Sure, eating chips everyday isn’t the best choice. I feel that students are old enough to know that, so they should be able to make better food choices. On the other hand it is okay to eat junk food once in a while, if they keep a healthy food diet.

4. nancy alejandre on November 20th, 2014 9:36 am

I think eating Cheetos everyday is unhealthy. But it is ok to eat them for a snack. Students should exercise regularly and eat healthy. Students should eat baked Cheetos because they are less calories than cheetos.

5. Allen Valdez on November 20th, 2014 9:39 am

I limit the amount of Cheetos I eat. When I do, I’ll seriously eat a family size bag..

6. Cathy Bahena on November 20th, 2014 7:24 pm

Oh my god! I just ate a bag of hot chips like 2 hours ago. It was a small bag though, so I don’t feel as bad. I’ve never paid attention to what it contains but I liked how you guys put how much calories and sodium it has. What scared me is the part that hot chips can cause blood clots. If it were to me I could finish one big bag but that is definitely not going to happen.

7. Gisselle Sandoval on November 20th, 2014 7:42 pm

I think people just have to limit themselves when they eat chips. Like they need to think of the effects, but its hard to think about that when you’re eating them. Other than that Cheetos are so good but so unhealthy.

8. Bianey Lopez on November 20th, 2014 10:49 pm

My favorite chips in the world are Vitner’s Kruchy Kurls. They are so addicting! Of course I limit myself of how much I eat because of the red dye and how much it was in the news, but I also like trying new things and I change up my snack options. If there’s one thing I enjoy more than chips, it’s natural yogurt with fruit.

9. Richard Herrera on November 21st, 2014 7:39 am

The hot chips in last year were a big thing. Now that they dont sell them no more, I see people bring big bags of hot chips to lunch and munch on them like it was dinner. Personally I was sad they stop sell in hot chips but I think this is a good thing for the students to try to be healthy. Only thing your article needs is more interesting quotes from the students

10. William on December 3rd, 2014 8:33 am

It’s an good article their was some good opinions but overall hot Cheetos are hot Cheetos people are going to continue to eat them

11. Alexandra on November 21st, 2014 11:40 am

I like hot Cheetos but I prefer Vitner’s nuggets.
    You should identify the person who you interview. overall you include good detail information.

12. Alma Rojas on November 21st, 2014 12:02 pm

This is a really good article. I love that you put both opinions and sides to it. Sometimes people “exagerate” when it comes to a bag of hot chips. Chips are ment to eat on small portions as a snack not as a meal. Overall you gave good information and it was a great report.

13. Jesus Jimenez on November 21st, 2014 12:19 pm

Yes eating chips isn’t good for you but you the way I think about it is even though im an athlete myself you never know when your last moment will be so eat whatever your heart desires and be happy.
    Great survey questions and way to go with the facts and presenting the reader with REAL news.
    Quotes are really short, you really want to grab a nice quote to include in your story.

14. Rene Balbuena on November 21st, 2014 2:11 pm

I think that its best for students to stop eating hot Cheetos but we all love eating them and it seems almost impossible for other people to stop eating so much chips. Good article the only thing is better quotes.

15. Francisco Perez on November 21st, 2014 2:27 pm

Although eating chips isn’t that healthy I just cant stop eating them. Good article with good info but sadly I’m still going to keep eating them!!! Lol

16. jessica campos on November 24th, 2014 8:28 pm

I like the quotes but you could’ve added how the school isn’t selling hot cheetos and how they are selling healthier ones now.

17. Jasson on November 25th, 2014 8:56 am

It’s the best food they have in Morton….

18. Jasson on November 25th, 2014 8:56 am

It’s the best food from Morton east!!!

19. Guadalupe Casales on December 3rd, 2014 8:47 am

I like this artical because it is very informative, I also eat chips almost every day and I don’t think about the consequences. Although i will probably keep eating them.

20. Estrella Rodriguez on December 3rd, 2014 8:48 am

So far it was a good article it also gave good information about what hot chips contain. I do think hot chips are bad for you but a lot of students eat them, which is sad because we as young people should eat healthier. Can’t help it there so ADDICTING!!!

21. Lizet Gonzalez on December 3rd, 2014 8:52 am

I like how the article did the statistic showing how the morton students preferred having chips available during lunch, personally for me, it has made me cut down Cheetos during lunch, since I can be busy and won’t make that extra effort carrying a bag of chips just to eat at lunch.

22. Denise on December 3rd, 2014 9:38 am

Percentages are supposed to add up to 100. 85% + 25% don’t equal 100%

23. Jocelyn on December 3rd, 2014 9:51 am

Well I think that Cheetos are bad for everyone’s health but in the same time we can’t change people’s mind on what they want to eat or want they won’t eat ..

24. Veronica on December 3rd, 2014 12:08 pm

Tell us why they stop selling them!!

25. Guadalupe Marquez on December 3rd, 2014 12:16 pm

Hot Cheetos are really good and I enjoy eating them during lunch , but you guys wrote about regular Cheetos not the baked ones that they sell from the cafeteria . Other than that the article was really good and contained a good amount of background information and quotes. It had a good balance between the two. Good job !

26. Jackie on January 21st, 2015 11:47 am

I like the whole concept of this article it is informative, but at the end of the day it is ultimately our choice. If we want to eat Cheetos everyday than its whatever. Schools failed to realize that we can still waste our money else where, like the corner gas station, I personally don’t eat a lot of Cheetos but I do like them better than the baked Cheetos.

27. Miguel on January 26th, 2015 9:18 am

This article is centers around one of the biggest junk foods I’ve seen students eat. It is interesting to see that this article argues against the idea that people should continue to consume lots of Cheetos. The major critic that I have for this article is that a lot of the facts used were not supported.

28. Christopher on January 26th, 2015 10:05 am

After reading this article it has made me think twice about potato chips. even though i don’t eat potato chips often. I eat the almost 1’s every month even though people think i eat the often. overall a very good article.

29. Rosendale Munoz on January 26th, 2015 12:25 pm

They have a Pont that chips aren’t healthy but as long as you leave chips as a snack in Ted of a daily meal it’s okay to eat chips