Teen opinion split on plastic surgery

Cosmetic Surgery is becoming more frequent because of social pressure and teens are split on their own opinion of it.

Young men and women want to be accepted socially, (particularly by their peers) and body images this plays a big role in their perception of themselves (www.thechildren.com). In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 43% agreed with cosmetic surgery and 57% disagreed.

As young teens grow older, they start to compare themselves to others.

“(cosmetic surgery) gives people a certain image to be, and (it encourages people) to be insecure,” senior Alex Ocampo said.

Usually people don’t notice our physical flaws and they say we are perfect when we think we aren’t.

“We all are super critical of ourselves,” journalism teacher Mr.Frankfother said.

Sometimes cosmetic surgery is there to make us feel better not only look better.

“It is more pleasure than pressure; people feel like they should look perfect at all times and some of them feel confident going out like that,” sophomore Isabelle Leon said.

Sometimes pleasure leads to addiction.

“Once you start with cosmetic surgery, you can’t stop,” junior Jacqueline Zarco said.

According to steadyhealth.com scientists have found a disorder that makes people imagine themselves “ugly”, thus, the idea of correcting their image with surgery seems like a sound idea.

Some celebrities whose cosmetic surgery has apparently gone down a wrong path:Lil Kim, Bruce Jenner, Scott “Carrot Top” Thompson, Megan Fox, Michael Jackson.

“T.V celebrities get addicted, it would be an everyday thing for them,” senior Alex Ocampo said.

Cosmetic surgery isn’t always the answer to beauty.

“People who see you every day get used to your defects,” journalism teacher Mr.Frankfother said.

It is hard to find teens who are content with their face and physique nowadays. We feel beautiful in our own way.

16 Responses to “Teen opinion split on plastic surgery”

1. Gisselle Sandoval on November 20th, 2014 7:35 pm

This was a really great article. I agree that nowadays it’s more difficult to feel content with yourself, but at the end we just need to be okay with who we are and how we look.

2. Alexy Garcia on November 20th, 2014 10:19 pm

I really liked your article because it was relatable to teenagers. Especially because at this age we are really critical on ourselves. I really loved all the quotes and statistics you guys used. Overall, this was a great piece. Keep up the great work!

3. Bianey Lopez on November 20th, 2014 10:34 pm

This was a great article, but it had a few capitalization errors and the additional information paragraph was a bit awkward because of the way the sentences were put together. If you fix those errors this article will be fantastic, but other than that I agree with this article how young adults and teens are easily influenced to “perfect” their image because of social media and celebrities. Each and everyone of us are special in our own way because if we were all made the same way then we’d be boring.

4. adviser on November 21st, 2014 5:49 am

GREAT COMMENTS!

5. Guadalupe de la rosa on November 21st, 2014 11:43 am

amazingggg!

6. Guadalupe d on November 21st, 2014 12:24 pm

its so true girls get so insecure by looking at these supposedly perfect girls

7. Sergio Cardenas on November 21st, 2014 1:20 pm

I think girls think way too much on how they look. So they think getting surgery will make guys like them more. They feel a whole lot better when they change their image. Girls are so obsessed with how they look, that they will do what ever it takes to make them “feel” pretty. Guys too are self conscious in how they look. So they also want to change so they can feel better about them self.
    On the other hand, its not so bad to fix things on your body that you don’t like. But there is also a limit in what you do to your body and what you put in it. Not everyone is perfect, so a little tweak in your body is not bad.

8. jessica on November 21st, 2014 1:22 pm

I like how a lot of celebrities were mentioned that have gotten plastic surgeries.Very good statistics. I also agree that the reason the number of plastic surgeries are going up is because teens are being pressured into it. This article was very interesting and shows to how extent people change themselves just to fit in. a few more examples of how plastic surgery can become an addiction though. Overall the article was great! (:

9. Heather Carnley on November 25th, 2014 9:58 am

I think that this article is great. I like the detail that is put in it but some sentences are worded in a way that doesn’t make that much sense. Other than that this is a great article.

10. Lesley Tolentino on November 27th, 2014 4:47 pm

This was a great article. I feel that you attacked the topic very well. I agree on the idea that most girls don’t feel confident enough in their image, as a person. Which is something most girls struggle with, but it’s something they shouldn’t be doing as to compare themselves to others. This article really could help girls understand that image isn’t everything. You’ve explained that very well in this article, in my opinion. Great job!

11. Cynthia Contreras on December 3rd, 2014 8:40 am

I really like this article because it relates to this many people that are unconfident of them selfs . In the other hand ,I like how there were statistics and really good quotes to support the article . I did notice some capitalization errors as well,but other than that the article was great .

12. Michelle on December 3rd, 2014 8:41 am

This article was great, I really liked the sources you guys used.

13. Jackie Rodriguez on December 3rd, 2014 12:14 pm

It is true a lot of girls are self conscious of there bodies some more then others but if you think about it some people get plastic surgery either for their own PERSONAL liking or because they really need it (medical condition) you shouldn’t do it just to impress a guy or girl be happy with your life, looks will always fade away. Being your true self is what will make real friends stay in your life and once your an old grandpa or grandma all your going to be thinking about is living life.

14. Yessica Rangel on January 21st, 2015 8:47 am

Loved the article! (: i agree how now in days, teens can get so obsessive in how they “appear”. Teens want to feel confident and good looking, and social media is a big cause of it. Teens get pressured into trying to be so perfect. Either way, Very good quotes and statistics, a couple capitalization errors here and there but very good article keep it up.! (:

15. Alicia Ambriz on January 21st, 2015 9:52 am

This talks on a topic that most people are self conscious about, it brings out the topic to the light. It also gives good sources that a reader can look at in order to find out more about and educate themselves further. Taking views from teens was a great idea, many people are able to relate to this that way, it also gives more known celebrities for other people to relate to.

16. Marissa Santiago on January 22nd, 2015 1:27 pm

Love this article! Yes, there was a few capitalization errors, but overall, very well written article. It really related to the way that people think about themselves, mostly teenage girls.

Teen opinion split on plastic surgery