Can video games relate to education?

There are many people that say video games should become a sport; others say no. in a random survey of 100 Morton East students, sixty-eight percent said that it should be a sport.

Robert Morrison University in Illinois will consider League of Legends a varsity sport right up there with football, basketball, and hockey. It’s the first U.S school to do so. There will be a generous athletic scholarship available to star video game players, up to fifty percent of cost attendance will be covered. Others schools with a team are Harvard, Princeton, and MIT.

Or, is it?

“Video Games have the ability to serve as an educational source and a tool to students who learn in non-traditional ways,” senior Fabiola Avitia said.

But, there are those fully agree with this idea.

“It’s a waste of time,” junior Anayeli Saucedo said.

“Video Games becoming a sport in schools will get more students involved,” sophomore David Juarez said.

At Morton East there are students that strongly suggest the opposite.

“Study a real thing,” senior Celeste Estrada said.

Many people would disagree with Mr. Romero because video games involve a high set of mind and a lot of strategy. It also involves watching hours of film so you can become better and it also involves a five man team.

“When I think of sports I think of muscle coordination and movement I don’t think sitting down on a computer,” Mr. Romero said.

4 Responses to “Can video games relate to education?”

1. Angelica Castro on November 13th, 2014 12:02 pm

The content of the story was clear and showed that you guys did research on the topic.However, the organization didn’t follow the quote/transition smoothly and has some grammar errors.

2. Jesus Lara on November 13th, 2014 12:19 pm

I strongly believe that video games should not be considered a sport. For me a sport sounds more like an activity. Where our physical bodies at put to the test. Video games just make people sit down and play countless hours of virtual games that don’t benefit us on the real world, and it will not make a person gain intelligence any faster than it would on the real world.

3. Dalia on November 18th, 2014 11:32 am

Playing video games is not what many people consider a sport but it requires just as much skill and mental focus as playing a sport. E-sport is what competitive gaming is called in the gaming community.

4. Jazmine Zavala on November 21st, 2014 11:42 am

I believe that playing video games shouldn’t be a sport because a sport is physically moving around continues times, sweating and getting tired. Just being physically active.
    I like how your article is clear and have both,students and staffs, opinions/quotes.
    There are some grammar errors and the article doesn’t follow the quote transition formula.

Can video games relate to education?