Readers outnumber non-readers

Sophomore Alan Islas holds up one of his personal favorites:  Night by Elie Wiesel.

Sophomore Alan Islas holds up one of his personal favorites: Night by Elie Wiesel.

Peter Rodriguez

Peter Rodriguez

Peter Rodriguez, Reporter

Lover of books

Peter Rodriguez

Reading is one of the requirements in school, for students to complete an assignment or to increase intellectually. There are those who love to read, as their knowledge increases.

“(Reading) helps you with language you can become smarter if you read the right books,” senior Filemon Saucedo said.

In a survey 100 students in Morton East, over 65% of the students reported that they like to read, and 35% said they don’t. This shows about 2/3 of the students like to read. 100 students were asked if they enjoyed comic, manga, or chapter books. 71% enjoyed chapter books, 25% manga, 4% comics. The majority of these prefer romance which was 68%.

“Reading is important; you can get knowledge from non-fiction books to various types of literature,” junior Pamela Martinez said.

Others read to feel at peace and forget what is around them. “Reading distracts you to what is around you,” junior Melissa Gonzalez said.

There are those students that did not like to read. About 35% of the students didn’t like to read only because it’s boring.

“(Reading) makes me very sleepy, and I go to sleep,” senior Karen Ramirez said.

Reading is a strong weapon to life; it may help in the future test or understanding a difficult form.

“(Reading) helps you increase in knowledge, even if it is any genre,” junior Melissa Gonzalez said.