Student athletes work hard for scholarships

Celine Martinez, Reporter

It’s that time of the year when athletic scholarships determine where thousands of seniors will be heading to for their first year of college — and we have our share of athletes competing (and winning) these scholarships.

Oscar Miranda recently accepted a scholarship to play football at a university.

Only 2% of high school athletes win sports scholarships every year at NCAA Colleges or Universities. As for Division 3 Colleges, they don’t offer full-ride scholarships. Here at Morton High School we have a few students who have dedicated either their whole life or high school career to sports; and their hard work payed off — from having $12,000 a year to a Full Ride scholarship.

Senior Oscar Miranda received and committed to a full ride scholarship for football to Trinity International University.

“Stressful but fun,” Miranda described his life as a student athlete.

Senior Sean Black received a scholarship for football to Benedictine University.

“My experiences were great. I love the coaching at Morton, the football staff were amazing, they’re literally family to me ,” Sean said when asked about his experience playing sports in Morton.

Senior Erick Avila received a scholarship for volleyball at Loras College to whom he is verbally committed to.

“I feel like as an athlete there’s going to be times where you question your commitment and wether you’re doing enough but it helps knowing its all going to be worth it at the end,” Erick said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Student athletes work hard for scholarships”

1. Jyana on April 23rd, 2018 7:21 am

Hello Admin,
    It is very nice that your blog is providing information regarding the program. I want to aware you towards the Free Online Course on Organizational Design: Creating Competitive Advantage
    Start Date: July 5, 2018
    You can check the given link:
    https://www.freeeducator.com/free-online-course-on-organizational-design-creating-competitive-advantage/

[Reply]