Get “set” for a “spiked” volleyball season!

Alexis Ramos, Emmanuel Perez, and Nicolas Rico

Are you excited for a new Mustang volleyball season in 2018?

The Morton Mustangs varsity team is 2-1 right now.  On February 9, 1895, in Holyoke, Massachusetts (United States), William G. Morgan, a YMCA physical education director, created a new game called Mintonette. The name was later changed to volleyball and in the 1900’s a special ball was created to play volleyball. In 1964 volleyball entered the Olympics. Over 800 million people play volleyball at least once a week.

When asked about what makes the team stand out, this is what one of their players had to say.

“what stands out from the team is that most of our players are short which I think is a good thing because most of our opponents underestimate us which is their mistake because we can use this to our advantage, we have proven that we can take on taller teams,” said senior Sebastian Cruz.

When asked about which team will give them the most trouble this season one of their players says this.

“The team that will give us the most trouble is DGN ( Downers Grove North); we both really go at it, and there is usually a really big crowd in the stands when we face them,” said senior Chilo Rodriguez.

Morton Mustangs coach said the following about how they expect the season to end.

“It’s too early in the season to say how we expect to finish; we were a stronger team last year but we expect to finish this season on a positive note,” said Morton Varsity Coach Hornilla.