Get “set” for a “spiked” volleyball season!

Alexis Ramos, Emmanuel Perez, and Nicolas Rico

Are you excited for a new Mustang volleyball season in 2018?

The Morton Mustangs varsity team is 2-1 right now.  On February 9, 1895, in Holyoke, Massachusetts (United States), William G. Morgan, a YMCA physical education director, created a new game called Mintonette. The name was later changed to volleyball and in the 1900’s a special ball was created to play volleyball. In 1964 volleyball entered the Olympics. Over 800 million people play volleyball at least once a week.

When asked about what makes the team stand out, this is what one of their players had to say.

“what stands out from the team is that most of our players are short which I think is a good thing because most of our opponents underestimate us which is their mistake because we can use this to our advantage, we have proven that we can take on taller teams,” said senior Sebastian Cruz.

When asked about which team will give them the most trouble this season one of their players says this.

“The team that will give us the most trouble is DGN ( Downers Grove North); we both really go at it, and there is usually a really big crowd in the stands when we face them,” said senior Chilo Rodriguez.

Morton Mustangs coach said the following about how they expect the season to end.

“It’s too early in the season to say how we expect to finish; we were a stronger team last year but we expect to finish this season on a positive note,” said Morton Varsity Coach Hornilla.

3 Responses to “Get “set” for a “spiked” volleyball season!”

1. Fredy on May 7th, 2018 9:45 am

I feel like this year’s varsity boys volleyball team has a great chance to have a victorious season. I happen to know a few of the boys in the team and I know what they’re capable of. I hope they do beat Downers Grove North because I know they train hard and working as team like usually, they can beat them.

2. Dayanna Gonzalez on May 7th, 2018 2:15 pm

the morton volleyball team is a great team, i’ve seen them play once or twice before and i will admit, i love watching their games because of how intense the games are. I know a lot of guys on the team and i do agree with sebastian, most of the guys are short, which does make a team underestimate them, i know this from experience.In volleyball, if you see that a team, or even most of the team is short, you always assume that its going to be an easy win, but the morton boys volleyball team proves that wrong because they give it their all and dont give up.

3. Javier Rodriguez on May 7th, 2018 2:17 pm

I love the fact that the volleyball teams are so confident when it comes to playing. Also, I liked how they took the advantage of the other teams underestimating them based on their height. It’s pretty awesome to read about a team who retains their passion for their favorite sport. Also, I really enjoyed learning about a brief history of volleyball. I loved playing volleyball in gym. Also, it’s really entertaining and important to be able to stay connected with your team.