Loyola Ramblers advance in March Madness

Nico+Rico+senior+watching+channel+one+news+about+Loyola.+
Nico Rico senior watching channel one news about Loyola.

In a survey of 100 Morton East students, 31% believe Loyola has what it takes to become the next NCAA Tournament Champions.

The last time Loyola has appeared in the NCAA Tournament was in 1985.  That’s 33 years ago.  Currently, Loyola is at the Final Four getting past the elite 8 with only a 5% chance of winning.  While remaining in the tournament, the Loyola Ramblers are in the process of pulling off a “Cinderella Story”.  From the 11th seed in the South region, The Loyola Ramblers have become the Underdogs in in this tournament and are giving it their all to prove them wrong.  In the first round, they w beat 6th seed Miami 64-62, in the 2nd round they beat 3rd seed Tennessee 63-62, in the Sweet 16 they went on beat 7th seed Nevada 69-68, and in the Elite 8 they beat 9th seed Kansas State 78-62.

“The fact that Loyola is still on the bracket surprises me.  I had low expectations from them.  I think everyone did.  To be completely honest I didn’t see them advancing past the first round,” junior Jose Munoz said.

Although many people didn’t see Loyola’s rise coming, there’s still support being given by many.

“It’s good to see the Ramblers representing the city of Chicago.  I feel like it brings everyone together even if people aren’t interested in the sport itself.  Parties are being thrown just because people have a sense of pride for their city,” senior Daniel Martinez said.

Even though this is a good thing for the people in the community, there’s still some haters out there.

“Loyola is not winning the Championship.  They’re just having lucky games and if you think they can beat Michigan State, you’re crazy.  Say they do make it, they’re not going to beat Villanova,” basketball fanatic Hector Reyes said.