Senior Memories: Flashblack to the past games

The class of 2017 presents a memory museum in which they focus on the years of 2014-2015, Sophomore year in the sports category. Sophomore year reached its peak in sportsmanship here at Morton East with basketball, soccer and rugby.

On this memorable year we reflect back on the highlights of sophomore year by showcasing what it truly meant to be Morton pride.  With everybody uniting together as a school to support our Morton athletics. From themes to pack the stands home and away the mustangs would not stop at nothing to lose. With the motto of “go big or go home”. Resulting in the basketball team placing in the semifinals for state, soccer coming in third place in state, and both varsity and junior varsity bringing home the championship in rugby.

“Easily one of the highlights of my high school career. Couldn’t help to think how thankful and blessed I was to witness a community unite,” Morton alumni basketball player Weisner Perez said.

The fan section that year was incredible! Whether it was the basketball games, soccer games, or rugby games there was always a crowd of fans supporting our Mustangs.

“I felt like at least just for those nights we, as a school, were in that jam together and ready to throw hands in any hypothetical situation haha,” senior Andree Contreras said.

2015 was the year for rugby for both varsity and junior varsity. It was the first time in three years that Morton brings back the state championship adding to titles from 2007  and 2011.

“We were tough, but not quite clicking through the regular season. Part of it was personnel changes.  I think part of it was seeing how poorly we were playing defensively on tape.  You can tell a kid they’re not doing something.  But, showing them and having them see with their own eyes what they weren’t doing, ushered in a renewed commitment to defense.  Something happened on the eve of the playoffs and we came out more physical on defense than before,” head coach Aaron Sweeney said.

Not only was the spotlight on rugby for bringing home the championship, but it was also focused on the soccer team for coming in third in state.

“The fan buses were crazy, everyone was so hyped getting the arena. We were all a family supporting peers,” senior Christian Ramirez said.