Powderpuff Football: equitable, but not quite

Jacqueline Cheek, Fabian Garcia, and Alexa Bello

Powder Puff cannot be a seasonal sport because there is not enough money in the Morton High school budget.

Powder puff is a traditional homecoming activity directed by students, but supervised by teachers, that involves girls playing flag football, coached by students themselves. In a random survey of 112 students, only 62 students want to make powder puff a seasonal sport.Title nine allows for girls football in high school

Title nine is a federal law that prohibits sex-based discrimination in education programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance. Title nine states as follows: No one in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be put aside or segregated from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

“I would like a lot of different sports to be seasonal, unfortunately we’re restricted by not only budget but also title nine, which is a law that provides gender equity in schools, so the opportunities provided to males are equal to the opportunities provided to females,” assistant principal Mr. Borgardt said.

Former powder puff players would like for girl’s football to be a regular seasonal sport.

“Because it’s a fun experience; it was too short,” sophomore Italia Calvillo said.

And, some people might think that girls aren’t strong enough for contact football.

“But, girls don’t have enough sports to play.  Many girls love tough sports,” senior Brenda Orozco said.

Many girls are trying to find alternative solutions to playing tough sports — including ideas to make the girls  powder puff game more competitive.

“I would like for powder puff to be a seasonal sport, or maybe we should invite other schools to play against us on that day,” senior Jacqueline Cheek said.

2017 East powder puff junior champion, Cristina Munoz, stresses  the idea of gender equality.

“It’s a competitive sport. What a guy can do, a girl can do as well,” Cristina Munoz said.