Changing gun laws brings out youth opinions

Itzel Munoz and Lizeth Martinez

The rise in school shootings has sparked debates on current US gun laws — at Morton East too.  But, most of the students here believe the age to purchase firearms should be raised.

In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 78% of them say that the legal age to purchase a gun should be raised from 18 to 21. According to BBC.com, there were 372 mass shootings in the US in 2015 , killing 475 people and wounding 1,870. Additionally, the gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 was nearly 30 times that in the UK at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1. Of all the murders in the US in 2012, 60% were by firearm compared with 31% in Canada, 18.2% in Australia and just 10% in the UK. BBC.com also states that many people die annually from gunfire in the US that the death toll between 1968 and 2011 eclipses all wars ever  fought by the country. According to research by Politifact, there were about 1.4 million firearm deaths in that period compared with 1.2 million US deaths in every conflict from the War of Independence to Iraq.

Morton East students protesting their rights at the recent staged walkout.

Some Morton East students are familiar with guns and how easy it is to get your hands on one.

“My brother, who is 19 years old, owns a gun that he purchased off the black market,” an anonymous sophomore student said.

On the contrary, it is not so easy for other students.

“Since I was admitted into a mental hospital at the age of 17, I have to wait five years to legally purchase a gun (which I plan on doing),” one anonymous senior boy said.

One other student believes people between 18 and 21 aren’t mature enough to purchase a gun.

“I think being able to buy a gun at such a young age gives teenagers unnecessary responsibilities that they can’t uphold,” junior Elizabeth Santiago said

6 Responses to “Changing gun laws brings out youth opinions”

1. maria loza on May 7th, 2018 9:40 am

Gun laws should definitely change. I even think that being 21 to buy a gun is still to early. Even people that are 21 these days lack self control and act like children. I don’t even see why people who aren’t police officers need guns. Most people claim to need them for self defense but show the opposite. A bunch of young adults have guns to feel though and better about themselves.

2. mario ramirez on May 7th, 2018 10:51 am

Changing the age to purchase a gun from 18 to 21 will do nothing. The people that want a gun will still somehow get it, just like the people who want liquor or cigarettes that are under aged. The people who want guns to do bad things can get the guns from anywhere like the black market, in the streets, Etc.

3. Jocelyn Rios on May 7th, 2018 10:59 am

Guns have been a serious issue for the longest of times. i agree that the age to get a gun should be from 18 and up or maybe 21. However i hate the fact that people all of a sudden started to care after something happened. i mean common, do we really need to wait for something horrible to happen so we start to take action. with what happened its a warning to every other school, it shows that it could happen anytime and anywhere.

4. Juan Martinez on May 7th, 2018 11:57 am

Changing the gun law will help keep guns out of the wrong hands of people. Young adults don’t need guns, some of them just want to own one. A gun can go off at any place and at anytime if it’s in the wrong hands.

5. Adriana Sanchez on May 7th, 2018 12:05 pm

I believe the legal age at which you can get a gun should be raised because the brain isn’t fully developed at 18 it is still developing at 21. Since the brain isn’t fully developed why is it okay for students to get a gun at that age when having a gun is a huge responsibility and a gun is so easy to get when it should be something that should take a really long time and process. Secondly, young people don’t have the correct judgement to think clearly when doing things, which can affect the things they do.

6. Reyna Hernandez on May 10th, 2018 11:47 am

Personally, I believe that it is necessary for gun laws should be stricter especially on the people who can manage to get hold of one. Students at the age of 18 definitely should not be able to buy one. Because at that age teenager’s brains are still developing as stated above, ” people between 18 and 21 aren’t mature enough to buy a gun” laws restricting gun purchase should be passed. Just like in the case of drinking and driving teenagers are more prone to do things that are wrong at his age and should be therefore restricted on the freedoms we have.