Opinion: AC wanted, needed

Braulio Vargas, reporter

Come summer, students of Morton East are always arguing that the school should install more air conditioning in the building. I recently surveyed 100 students; 90 of the said that the school needs air conditioning.  (This wasn’t a surprise!)

“The perfect time to install in more air conditioning is during the summer to save more time,” senior Juan Delgado said.

“It would be nice for more air conditioning to be installed,” junior Julio Medina said.

Facts have shown that schools that don’t have air conditioning affect children’s academics performance due to higher temperatures in classrooms and cause symptoms.

I would have to agree that the school should either install or fund more air conditioning because it could cause positive effects — students focusing on their work and paying attention in class.  If more air conditioning was installed in the school mostly every student, teacher, and staff members can feel the enjoyment of fresh and cold air.

12 Responses to “Opinion: AC wanted, needed”

1. uriel sotelo on May 7th, 2018 8:39 am

AC has always been needed in here. I bet since this building was built it turned into an oven when the weather got hotter. So really we been needing to fix this issue since like a century ago.

2. Neicy Walker on May 7th, 2018 10:38 am

I totally agree with the idea that the school needs air conditioning because if we have air conditioning we can focus more and get more work done. Also, the school should install the air conditioning while the students are on summer break. Therefore, the school would get it down faster, and the faster the better because it would be less money coming from the school.

3. zakiah on May 7th, 2018 10:56 am

I agree that we desperately need central AC in the school. I think students are mainly thinking about different ways to fan themselves off rather then actually paying attention to school work. If we have heating during the winter then why don’t we have AC during the summer? I think overall it would help the student focus better during class.

4. Yatzari Landaverde on May 7th, 2018 11:06 am

I totally agree with the article. When temperatures are rising outside, the temperatures feel even hotter inside the school. With so many students pact into one building, the school starts to feel humid. This makes it hard for students to concentrate in class or even want to show up because of the intense heat and moisture in the air.

5. Itzel Gonzalez on May 7th, 2018 12:02 pm

I agree that the school should have AC’s installed, especially for the hot summer days. Being in Morton East without having air conditioning is honestly the worst. All of us in the school will GREATLY appreciate if the AC’S were installed as we don’t have to suffer through the hot days in the school like we do right now and before. This can also help prevent people having heat strokes throughout the hot days during school.

6. Jacklyn Vega on May 7th, 2018 12:19 pm

I agree with the article, more air conditioning should be installed around the school because it allows the students to focus on learning instead of them just focusing on the heat. Also it would prevent from people feeling sick because they feel dehydrated. Also students will enjoy coming to school because they will feel the fresh air during classes instead of felling sweaty all the time. AC will have many positive benefits to students and teachers and it will allow them to enjoy summer during school.

7. Javier Rodriguez on May 7th, 2018 2:22 pm

I absolutely agree with every word within this article. Also, I would just like to point out what other students have stated about the issue regarding air conditioning. Many of my friends claim that air conditioning helps them focus on the task at hand. I personally sympathize. It would make going to this school a lot easier if I had air conditioning running, especially since one of my classes is right above the boiling room. Air conditioning would overall because it will help relieve the student’s stress about the classrooms being to hot before the summer.

8. Estephanie B. on May 7th, 2018 2:29 pm

Interesting article! I agree, I think that the school is in need of an AC. As we can see in the article, I am not the only one who believes we should have an AC installed in the school. I believe that installing an AC will help me focus on school work rather than the distracting heat in the summer.

9. Syed D Saldana on May 10th, 2018 11:51 am

I agree that we need air conditioner in morton east because of how long this school has existed without it. People are always complaining in my classes about how hot it is and they just cant handle the heat which makes them lose focus in class. Its fair to use the money in our fundraisers on other things too, not just athletics or other clubs. In fact, the school has made many renovations inside but they still cant put AC in the school.

10. Johan Rodriguez on May 10th, 2018 12:00 pm

A central AC has been needed, while I have only been here at east for two years, I have heard many stories from older siblings and family members complaining about the heat and how it caused headaches and other issues. AC is simply a necessity, not only for students, but for teachers and other faculty members.

11. Yoana on May 10th, 2018 12:04 pm

I agree with the building of air conditioners as once that students come back from school, it gets hot during school hours which leads to students not going to school or either feeling dizzy due to the temperature. During the weeks of August, the temperature increases as to 90 degrees above. The building of ac will lead to better focus as while in class students tend to complain and not do their work as they are stressed out about the weather which can help students have a better focus in class. As to out of the 90 of 100 those students who didn’t agree will see a change in the use of the ac.

12. Miranda on May 10th, 2018 12:15 pm

Installing more air conditioners would be a costly project but a very beneficial one at that. I recall making the shift from a nice, cool Freshman Center even during the summer to the humid and sometimes sweltering heat at Morton East. It was a pretty significant change because not only was i taking on more challenging classes but I found i couldn’t work at the apex of my potential simply because i was preoccupied with “Dang it’s so hot in here”. Scientifically, the human body work’s best in 71-73 degree temperatures, as well as this being the most ideal temperature for productivity. Thus being said, if we were to have more ACs around the school to maintain ideal temperatures, students wouldn’tt complain so much about heat and perform better during class.

Opinion: AC wanted, needed