Sexual harassment, even at the top?

Diana Gallegos, Brenda Rodriguez, and Sabrina Mercado

Sexual harassment has been such a controversial topic, especially because recently political leaders like our President has often been accused of sexual harassment. Donald Trump has been accused by 15 different women and nothing was done about it, in fact he even got elected to be president even after all those allegations.  

Like in the case of Miss Carolina 2006, Samantha Halvey accused Trump of inspecting beauty pageant contestants, and Jessica Leeds, who accused the President of grabbing her chest and attempting to move his hands up her skirt on a flight. 

In a random classroom survey of 25 kids at Morton East Highschool 24 out of 27 students said they would agree on President Trump being impeached because of the sexual harassment allegations against him. 

Besides the emotional impact that people who sexually harass others have on society, students view this situation also in legal terms. 

“I believe that President Trump should be impeached because sexual harassment is illegal and someone who has done something illegal shouldn’t be president abusing their power,” senior Daniezka Aleman said.  

In some cases according to students communication with each other is key into resolving these problems.  

“It’s really disgusting because that’s not treating people equally. People should communicate with their government more and talk to each other about situations like these,” Senior Isaema Escalera said. 

Students at Morton believe the president is giving out a bad image of this country with his bad choices. 

“People get arrested for sexual harassment and as the president of the USA he shouldn’t portray that type of role. He gives himself a bad image and I don’t think we should have a man make decisions for the USA if he’s making bad choices by sexually harassing others, he should be held responsible for it. Just because he’s the president doesn’t make him any better, he’s the same as all,” senior Esmeralda De Santiago said. 

Some think the president is not owning up to his choices. 

“He should be arrested and face the consequences, think of all the people’s lives he could’ve traumatized, everyone else that has done that always faces the consequences and him being the president should own up to it instead of acting like a coward,” junior Alexis Delgado said. 

Others think justice should be made for all who has been harassed. 

“President Trump should be impeached because I feel like many women that have experienced that want justice to be made against their attacker,” senior Natalia Zambrano said.  

Sadly, harassment happens to a lot of people in their daily lives either at work, school and in their homes. However, many celebrities and people from the community have come out and publicly accused the people that have harassed them. At the Golden Globes Red Carpet event in Beverly Hills, California is where many celebrities in a show of solidarity for the mission of anti-sexual harassment group Time’s Up. 

4 Responses to “Sexual harassment, even at the top?”

1. Aurora on May 7th, 2018 9:37 am

I personally think that president Trump should be impeached. To those women that were sexually harassed by Trump, they deserve justice too, no matter what type of stature and position their harasser currently holds. Just because Trump is now president, that doesn’t mean that he will be free to commit any crime that he wants. He should be accountable too. This is the reason that many women and men have not spoken up about being sexually harassed because of the fear that the justice system will fail them by not doing anything to help them get justice.

2. Selena Torres on May 7th, 2018 10:48 am

I think that someone who sexually harasses another human being shouldn’t be the president or any high power. I think Trump is abusing his power and i think people like judges wont take this to trial just because he is the president and could be afraid of him. He should be charged for 15 counts of sexual harassment if it is true, which it probably is. i don’t think no one should have to live knowing that their abuser is getting away with what they did to them and unpunished,

3. Brenda Zuloaga on May 7th, 2018 2:27 pm

I am also very opinionated on this topic. It has sadly been a problem for as long as we can remember. Having a president who has done this sort of thing and many other horrible things is the worst idea that America could probably have made. Something has to be done for this to end.

4. Johan Rodriguez on May 10th, 2018 12:07 pm

While it’s disgusting to hear about any sort of sexual harassment, let alone our president and commander in chief, I do not believe sexual harassment is an impeachable offense. It’s unacceptable but it’s become “normal”, as has mass shootings, as most of us are used to hearing about these every couple months, and we hear about how people are shot on the daily.

Sexual harassment, even at the top?