Do we approve of zoos? About half of us do

Perla Valadez and Jackie Duran

Opinions are split on the functions of zoos, like Brookfield Zoo, in Brookfield, and Lincoln Park Zoo, in Chicago.

As years pass more wild animals become endangered. Zoos like Brookfield and Lincoln Park keep the wild animals away from their predators to help them survive and reproduce.

From a survey of 100 Morton East students 52% said that Brookfield and Lincoln Park zoos are appropriate for wildlife animals and 48% did not agree. Animals in zoos and circuses suffer from extreme psychological deprivation and stress. “Zoochosis” is the term used to describe the stereotypical behaviour of animals in captivity. Stereotypic behaviour is defined as a repetitive, invariant behaviour pattern with no obvious goal or function. Morton east students agree with this as well.

“I don’t think zoos are appropriate for wild life animals because it’s not their natural habitat,”  junior Maria Placensia said.

Others agree.

“I don’t think zoos are good for wild animals because they ain’t big enough for them to be running around, and all that,” junior Yesenia said.

Moreover, another Morton East student agrees as well.

“They deprive them from their natural habitat, from their homes,” senior Odalys Flores said.

2 Responses to “Do we approve of zoos? About half of us do”

1. Darius on May 7th, 2018 8:37 am

i feel like the zoo would be a great place to help endangered animals. Even though it is not their natural habitat people can help the endangered species repopulate. A lot of animals have already gone extinct all we need to do is help them. we can give them the boost they need to save their species.

2. David Zarco on May 7th, 2018 9:43 am

I feel like zoo’s are appropriate places for animals to be. Although they don’t have nearly as much space to roam around in as they used to in the wild, They’re still being fed and taken care of by people who choose to invest their time into the animals. This isn’t always the case as some zoo’s treat their animals horribly, but for the most part Zoo’s do help make sure that animals are protected. Rhinos in Africa are under constant protection but they still get killed, which shows you that it’s unsafe to keep endangered species out in the open.