Does LAC serve a purpose?

Oscar Miranda and Jeffrey Czech

Room #380, also known as LAC

LAC (learning adjustment center) or in school suspension is pretty common in most high schools.

Although thoughts are diverse when it comes down to in-school suspension. TIME magazine states “In school suspension may do more harm than good”. In Fairness, schools often struggle to find alternatives for kids whose discipline problems are truly serious and who may disrupt the learning environment for other students, which leads schools to LAC.  In a random survey of 100 students and faculty from Morton East 72 think that LAC does NOT serve a purpose.

“I believe, LAC serves no purpose whatsoever because it’s a waste of time,” Senior Osiel Nunez.

Many students also agree with senior osiel nunez.

“LAC doesn’t serve a purpose because all you do is sit there and in reality it takes away my education, which can cause some students to fall behind academically,” Senior Jorge Oliveros said.

Also it’s believed some students use LAC as an advantage.

“I think LAC can be used as a way to not go to class and it deprives students from learning for their behavior,” Senior Luis Vazquez said.

But, some see a greater purpose if students are reflective.

“LAC does serve a purpose because it allows to reflect on their behavior and also allows students to catch up on any class work that they’ve failed to complete,” an anonymous morton staff member said.

However, according to the staff member, when it is suggested for students that they “catch up on work,” “gather work from classroom teachers,” or most students just shrug it off. Books are available for classwork.

“If a student decides to just do nothing that’s his or her business, his or her grade. I’d use the time to catch up,” English teacher Mr. Kent Frankfother said.

28 Responses to “Does LAC serve a purpose?”

1. Imelda Uribe on November 15th, 2017 8:37 am

This story actually makes you wonder if LAC has a purpose, but everyone has their own opinion.

[Reply]

Jeffrey Reply:

Thank you !

[Reply]

Oscar miranda Reply:

Thank you Imelda I appreciate your comment.

[Reply]

2. Annette Miranda on November 20th, 2017 9:33 pm

Interesting Article !!

[Reply]

3. Julian Samano on November 21st, 2017 11:36 am

I guess LAC can be bad but its better than staying home doing nothing.

[Reply]

4. Isaac cruz on November 21st, 2017 11:46 am

I believe LAC serves a purpose to extent, for example if a student destroys property or disrespects staff etc then that student should be there. But LAC for little things such as shoe color or an ID is just silly and depriving students of education.

[Reply]

5. Celeste Barba on November 21st, 2017 2:10 pm

I’ve seen students hide their Ids as an excuse to be sent to LAC and get out of class, it’s honestly disappointing

[Reply]

adviser Reply:

Wow! I didn’t know students went to such extremes. I know some of my students have said they HATE LAC.

[Reply]

6. Elizabeth Hernandez on November 27th, 2017 10:30 am

After reading this article, I have started to question if LAC is actually being taken seriously or not.

[Reply]

7. Lisette Gamboa on November 27th, 2017 10:35 am

I don’t think LAC serves a purpose. It’d be better to just keep students in class where they’re still learning.

[Reply]

8. gustavo on November 27th, 2017 11:42 am

I think if they are going to keep giving LAC they should change the rules and make it more productive for the students

[Reply]

9. Monico Martinez on November 28th, 2017 9:01 am

Sometimes LAC can be for serving a purpose. But also sometimes it’s kind of too mucb. For example when they take us up there for not having an ID. I believe that’s too much. Maybe if they changed their rules not everyone would be so against it. My opinion is that LAC is a little bit too much and, I hope in the future they change rules so it can actually serve a purpose.

[Reply]

10. Jimmy Aguirre on November 28th, 2017 9:55 am

In my opinion, LAC is capable of having a positive impact on a student’s education. However, the way LAC is ran isn’t going to produce the necessary amount of learning the students miss. The fact that students are being pulled out of class takes away from something they’re learning. Something that isn’t talked about in this article is that the students who are put in LAC will have to make up the work they missed in class on their own time. LAC isn’t taken as seriously as it should be by the students that are put in there for their misbehavior.

[Reply]

11. bernardo on November 28th, 2017 11:04 am

The way LAC is structured in a way where those who don’t do work, don’t really care about school, or seeing these past comments, hide their own ID’s to get in LAC so they can ditch makes LAC meaningless. if its a way where students can catch up on work, and you see no progress of the students catching up on work, whats the point if what it’s intended for isn’t being used. Honestly I agree if you change the rules then students might do the work, like if they do work and show it to the supervisor then they can leave early, but it still stands LAC is useless.

[Reply]

12. Juan Martinez on November 28th, 2017 12:19 pm

LAC does serve a purpose to those who fall behind with their classwork. LAC helps them work on their missing assignments so they can catch up. The one thing that doesn’t help the students is putting them in their over silly things such as shoe colors, clothing, not wearing an I.D, etc. By putting them in there provokes them to fall behind, they miss out on their education because they’re in LAC. The staff/school needs to provide productive effective ways to help students improve on their grades.

[Reply]

13. Collin Ruiz on November 28th, 2017 12:23 pm

LAC serves no purpose and is taken advantage of. I’ve seen people “lose” their ID to avoid a certain class because of a test or quiz. Its also a waste of class time where someone could be productive and learn but instead sits in a room doing nothing, To be sent to LAC for the loss of an ID is also ridiculous, and to be penalized for it is completely unnecessary. I believe the ID policy to be sent to LAC should be removed to help enhance our students learning and productivity.

[Reply]

14. Lightning on November 28th, 2017 2:37 pm

I think this article has some fair points but i would have to disagree with the idea of LAC serving a purpose . I personally have been to LAC for not having an ID but I was only there for 20 minutes or so waiting for my mother to bring me my ID. And while i was there i did nothing but just sit there and use an Ipad doing achieves and the kid next in front of me watching YouTube videos. And instead of being able to wait in class for my ID i had to be excluded from chemistry and miss the whole class period. So LAC is just a waste of time and lets kids play on an Ipad and get you out of class.

[Reply]

15. Adriana Sanchez on November 29th, 2017 7:26 pm

I believe LAC has no purpose.Students shouldn’t be held back from learning. Many students often choose to do things they know they aren’t supposed to do just so that they get sent to LAC. The students would rather sit in LAC all day than to go to class. Therefore I believe LAC really doesn’t serve a purpose.

[Reply]

16. Jesus Vega on November 29th, 2017 7:31 pm

LAC is helpful in a way. It can also do more harm than good in a way. Students can go an of get caught up in classes that they’re behind in. But students who are already caught up have nothing to do. So teachers sending students to LAC. The purpose would be fruitless. The novice can be helpful bit it really depends on who the student is.

[Reply]

17. Juan Escobedo on November 29th, 2017 8:58 pm

I believe LAC does not serve a purpose. Yes, LAC gives the student an opportunity to catch up on missing work or even do work, but it is actually taking their learning time when they are not in the class. A student can be taken out of class for a whole period meaning they lost a whole hour of learning. For example, one day I actually forgot my ID at home, after i went to the book store and told them i didn’t have five dollars on me, they told me to go to the deans office. When i got there, they told me that they would either have to call someone at home or keep me in LAC for the whole time. There was no one at my house, so I had no other plan. LAC is honestly stupid, they would literally prefer me staying a room for six hours instead of learning. I don’t understand why we cant pay a temporary ID another day instead of at the moment we get it. If LAC is seen as a “punishment” for some staff, I don’t see how.

[Reply]

18. Yatzari Landaverde on November 29th, 2017 9:42 pm

I think LAC serves no purpose. It takes learning time away from students and is usually taken advantage of. From my experience,
    I had to be detained for two whole class periods due to forgetting my ID. My dad had to come out of work to give me the $5 to
    pay the temporary ID. This regulation should be changed because it caused my time to be wasted into just sitting in a room
    doing nothing when I can be learning in class. What made the situation even more defective is that it was just over an ID.

[Reply]

19. Guadalupe Diaz on November 29th, 2017 9:56 pm

LAC does indeed has its pros and cons. LAC does serve a purpose when it comes down to serious punishments. I strongly believe that students shouldn’t be sent to LAC for not having their ID. That’s just a waste of their “learning time’. Instead of getting sent to LAC they should be sent to the office and just wait there, because once you’re in LAC the same rules apply to everyone which is normally no talking, no phones, etc. Therefore students shouldn’t get punished for that, especially knowing a parent is on their way dropping of their ID. Hopefully in the future, our school makes changes with that.

[Reply]

20. Pablo on November 29th, 2017 11:24 pm

In my opinion LAC has some positives and negatives. I say this because a positive form LAC is that students who are in LAC have the opportunity to still work on homework form classes. The negative here is that even though with this opportunity of catching up with work, students might still have that feeling of slacking off and putting the work aside. I think LAC will not go away any time soon because there are still some students out there who don’t want to work. While this being said LAC is in the middle of being positive and negative.

[Reply]

21. Jeremy Cabrera on November 29th, 2017 11:36 pm

LAC’s cons outweigh the pros by a large margin in my opinion. I do believe there should be consequences if a student is out of dress code but taking their education away is vile. It’s cruel if a student forgets his ID from being in a rush to get to class only to be sent to serve in LAC. LAC can only be useful for students who have I’s that need to be fixed. Other than that, it’s useless.
    Students may find their homework difficult and end up spending their time in LAC doing nothing because they don’t know where to start. Since LAC is here to stay, one way they can improve on it is by putting either students volunteering in their supervision to tutor some of the students who need help. Another thing they can do is hire a tutor to help students who fell behind.

[Reply]

22. Fredy Magana on November 30th, 2017 12:16 am

I believe that LAC isn’t the right thing to do to student’s behavior issues. Taking them to a room where they do no learning at all as a punishment isn’t beneficial for anyone. Morton tends to send students to LAC for things really irrelevant such as not having their id’s. Why would not having your id cost you a whole day of not learning a thing? I feel like there’s better solutions to discipline students that will benefit their learning and education.

[Reply]

23. Arturo Acevedo on November 30th, 2017 4:00 am

I agree with LAC not being beneficial and this is because I’ve been there and most of the time I was dreading the whole day not doing anything productive because it is that boring. Although I do have second thoughts about this situation because it can be beneficial by catching up on work for a whole 6 hours.

[Reply]

24. David Zarco on November 30th, 2017 9:20 am

LAC definitely does serve a purpose, Students just decide not to do anything while in there. And that falls on them, they’re being given the opportunity to do all their missing work. If you spend your time wisely in there you’d be able to catch up easily the next day if you go back to your regular classes.

[Reply]

25. Mya Miranda on May 10th, 2018 12:05 pm

LAC doesn’t serve a purpose at all. Students just sit there and do nothing, either they sleep or sit and watch something on their computer. There was one occasion were I had to go to LAC and there were students scattered across the room sitting with their laptops open, hiding their phones from security. LAC is just an excuse for students to miss class and do nothing productive with their time. It isn’t needed at all, just simply give them a Saturday detention and be done with it.

[Reply]

Does LAC serve a purpose?