Mixed feelings, but positive experiences, regarding law enforcement

Janet Hernandez, Ayman Atra, and Becky Martinez

Students have mixed feelings about the police.

The police have been under the eyes of the media, the past year or so, and it’s led to an increase in negative opinion.  But, in a survey of 100 Morton East students, 34 percent said they have actually had a positive experience with the police.

“I have heard a lot of discrimination but every bushel has a bad apple. There are good cops and bad cops, but the news tends to write the most interesting stories, and they are not always good,” secretary Jeannette DeStefano said.

Unfortunately, there are an increasing number of people who don’t have a good image about police – possibly due to media coverage and social media postings. 61 percent of students believe the negativity is about racial issues because that is what they see in the news and online videos.

“In the news, (police seem to) mostly target black people,” senior Chela said.

The youth today don’t realize the things police do for them.

“They are only trying to look out for you,” school security Sarahi said.

And, students may be disrespectful when they are not scared of any sort of consequences.

“Students tend to get arrested for lack of supervision, no fear of any sort of consequences.   Heck, my dad had no problem (punishing me).  I wouldn’t want to get into any trouble and certainly not get arrested,” secretary Jeannette Destefano said.

Unfortunately, sometimes the popular opinion is the “anti-establishment,” negative one.

“Some students usually get arrested or they say they do not like the police just to act cool,” school security Sarahi said.

13 Responses to “Mixed feelings, but positive experiences, regarding law enforcement”

1. Jordan Wheeler on November 3rd, 2015 5:01 pm

I dont really have a prpblem woth the police….. I know alot of friends who are police and they are cool and they watch out for me whenever i get in trouble

[Reply]

2. Elias jimenez on November 3rd, 2015 5:10 pm

I think the police are just doing their job.

[Reply]

3. Vianney on November 3rd, 2015 5:14 pm

Amazing article! Its a very interesting topic! its true how police officers dont really have a good reputation because of all those videos on social media. Hopefully sooner or later police violence wont be a problem anymore.

[Reply]

4. Marco Gutierrez on November 3rd, 2015 6:27 pm

Some what is true that the police is just watching over us , but sometime they over use there power as well.

[Reply]

5. alondra on November 3rd, 2015 8:01 pm

There’s good polices that aren’t getting all the attention that bad polices are getting.

[Reply]

Itzel Reply:

I believe that the police officers that are actually doing their job are not getting enough attention, but the ones that aren’t doing their job are . That’s not good because then we only see the bad side of the police and we began to have a negative reaction towards the officers that’s are actually enforcing the law.

[Reply]

6. Dariel on November 3rd, 2015 9:36 pm

This article was really interesting. Cops are good. But when someone disrespects them that’s when cops start acting wrong.

[Reply]

7. Daniela madriz on November 4th, 2015 9:53 am

Awesome article!! I like how their is quoutes of different people which means different types of opinions.

[Reply]

8. Mari on November 4th, 2015 9:55 am

I completely agree! This was a very good article, with really good points on why we as a society have recently been having negative views on police.

[Reply]

9. Judge on November 4th, 2015 12:15 pm

I know this is an unpopular notion, but…what happened to the police officers before those videos were shot? No one cares what was happening to the police officers beforehand. Police are people, too, but they are supposed to maintain constant control even when they are being hit, spit at, sworn at, etc.

[Reply]

10. Diego on November 5th, 2015 10:41 am

I have nothing against the police, they’re just doing their job and it’s our responsibility to do ours as well. They risk their own lives everyday to keep us safe.

[Reply]

11. David Govea on November 9th, 2015 8:56 am

IMO, I feel like police are there to “protect and serve”, but in some situations, they are grown adults trained to de-escalate a situation. When grown adults can not handle a teenager without using excessive force, then I think they need to reevaluate what they are there for. Ofcourse they can handle the typical traffic stop and all those sort of things but when is comes down to body slamming a teen in her desk or using a baton to cripple a kid for J-walking, or using his right of Freedom of speech then some questions do need to be asked.

[Reply]

12. Eduardo on November 9th, 2015 10:51 am

Good Job ??

[Reply]