Teachers with guns? What’s the consensus?

In a survey of 15 teachers at Morton East High School, only 2 of them agreed that the law of teachers carrying guns should be passed.

Here’s what some had to say.

“Teachers who would like to carry a gun should volunteer for it,” math teacher Mark Karadimos said.

“It’s just another gun that can be shot in the wrong direction,”  English teacher Karen Judge said.  “I don’t know how a hand gun is going to fight a high powered gun,” she added.

“What am I supposed to do with a gun on  a daily basis? Where am I supposed to hide it? How do I make sure someone in the class is not going to over power me because they know I  have a gun,” consumer education teacher Natalie Kozlowski said.  “I don’t think guns are a solution to more guns,” she added.

“I don’t think its necessary if we have good security,” science teacher Jeffrey Dundek said.

36 Responses to “Teachers with guns? What’s the consensus?”

1. Jazmin B. on May 7th, 2018 8:33 am

I think that teachers should not have guns in their classes. Although I do understand people want to be safer with all the tragedies happening, but this is a bit extreme. Teachers are responsible to teach us and to protect when something bad can happen, but there can be other ways to do it that aren’t so rash. Schools need to notice the signs of something wrong with a student and have better security.

2. uriel sotelo on May 7th, 2018 8:35 am

Teachers with guns is definitely not the way to go. Like honestly who were the 2 teachers that said teachers should have guns. Bet they’re some type of super patriotic, confederate flag in garage type of teacher. Never know.

3. Jorge Ochoa on May 7th, 2018 8:45 am

In my opinion if teachers want a gun they should be able to have one if they go through proper gun safety and training procedures. Now to address the common complaint about this issue is to why teachers should have guns in the first place in security is good. If we look back at recent or previous school shootings the shooter got through security putting a huge risk on the students. There were many scenarios had the teacher had a gun could have been prevented. To end this off obviously gun control should be reformed greatly but if teachers want to have a gun to protect themselves with they should have a choice.

4. maria loza on May 7th, 2018 9:30 am

As a student, I would not like any of my teachers to have guns. It would terrify me, make me uncomfortable and distract me from learning. Providing guns and training for teachers at east would be very expensive, instead they should invest that money in AC. Teachers signed up to only be teachers, not to work with guns. If i was a teacher i would also disagree of the idea of teachers carrying guns.

5. Jimmy Aguirre on May 7th, 2018 9:37 am

Guns in school have always sparked controversy. I agree with what Karen Judge says because it’s impossible to know the outcome of having a firearm. It’s not safe for kids to be exposed to weapons as an idea of self defense because it make them feel unsafe without it. It’s a topic that is influenced by tragic school shooting, and it has to have a solution in the upcoming years.

6. David Zarco on May 7th, 2018 9:39 am

I feel like the law should be passed, If teachers are able to carry firearms then school would feel safer to me. I would trust my teachers with a gun more than i would trust another student with a gun, Although in the end it’s up to the teacher. They’re going to be the ones getting trained, and they’re also going to be the ones spending money on the classes and on the sidearm.

7. Efren Avitia on May 7th, 2018 9:40 am

i agree with the teachers who are against teachers with guns because how are teachers going to make sure the students don’t try to get the gun? Also if security is good enough, what would be the the point of arming the teachers?also i think that shouldn’t be armed because their job is teach not protect students.i f they want schools to feel safer maybe every school should get more security if they don’t have some already.

8. Juan Zarco on May 7th, 2018 9:47 am

First of all shout out to mathguide.com dedicated to my Math teacher Mr. Karadimos. Now I agree with Ms. Judge’s comment that is true a hand gun will not be able to subdue a high powered gun. Plus the high powered gun will be much quicker and have more rounds of ammo. Having these guns can also cause more violence in my opinion because they can possibly fall into the hands of students when a teacher in any occasion misplaces it. This can result in an increase of deaths in school shootings. Lastly, Jeffrey Dundek has my respect because it is truly right that with adequate security any type of violence can be prevented and guarantee the security of students and staff.

9. mario ramirez on May 7th, 2018 10:44 am

I don’t think that teachers should be allowed to carry guns. I think they should not be allowed because many teachers wouldn’t know how to use them, and might cause even more violence. The teachers might accidentally shoot themselves, or other students if they don’t know how to properly use the gun. If teachers have guns, you can run the risk of them going crazy and shooting other teachers/students. The security guards should take care of all the violence, not the teachers.

10. zakiah on May 7th, 2018 10:45 am

Solving gun problems with more guns is a terrible idea. It doesn’t prevent school shootings it encourages it. Hypothetically, lets say a teacher carries a gun in their drawer and one day they leave the class for a few minutes. Who’s to say a student wouldn’t grab the gun and try to shoot someone? Also are teachers even trained to use a gun? The whole point of gun laws is to avoid giving a gun to the wrong person. The consensus is that it shouldn’t be allowed.

11. Daisy on May 7th, 2018 10:47 am

I believe that teachers having guns on school premises should not be allowed and will only cause more consequences involving gun control. Many things could go wrong with a teacher having a weapon in class. Such as someone taking the weapon, the weapon mistakenly firing on, or even a teacher loosing their temper or mind and going on a shooting. Having their weapon feet or sometimes even inches away.

12. Eduardo Flores on May 7th, 2018 10:57 am

I think teachers should have a hand gun only if things get really bad in schools and if they are properly train to shoot and carry a gun. On the other hand if there is guns in the classroom a student or anyone that goes into the class can get the gun and shot people and kill teachers and students. there is going to be both pros and cons about the subject and its going to be hard to come to a decision.

13. Jorge Jimenez on May 7th, 2018 11:02 am

I too think that teachers should not gave guns in order to protect. The article has great reasoning with why teachers shouldn’t have them. A student doesn’t need to plan to sneak a gun in if there is already one in the classroom. What if someone accidentally shots it and ends up killing someone else? What is the teacher forgot to put the safety on and it goes off? If teachers end up having the possession of guns to fight other guns, then we are fighting fire with fire and that can be a greater problem.

14. Ivan P. on May 7th, 2018 11:04 am

I agree with people that are against teachers having guns. Like one teacher said it cannot compete against a high powered gun which school threats are known to have. Also it can lead to accidents and to people knowing and wanting to take it from them. Like the survey shows a low amount of teachers support teachers having guns which makes sense for those reasons. It is good that people are thinking of ways to help stop or prevent school shootings but other things can be done that can help more. Like how i read in another article which involves background checks to gun buyers.

15. Jocelyn Rios on May 7th, 2018 11:06 am

it may seem like a good idea but like they said, you can’t solve the gun problem with more guns. i feel that the school would be running more risk because what if that gun falls into the wrong hands! Also where are they supposed to hide a gun where A. the students can’t find and B. where it can be easily reached encase of an emergency. fighting problem with the problem is never a good solution, i think we are just better off with the school security.

16. Cami Revilla on May 7th, 2018 11:48 am

I believe that teachers should not be able to carry guns in the classroom because it would put to much pressure on the teacher to have it with them. They would think that any little thing a student does would be a treat like if a student is upset and grabs something fro their bag the teacher would automatically think that the student is pulling out a gun. I agree with the article because we already have security walking around the school at all times making sure were safe and we have police officers as well so teachers don’t need to carry guns.

17. Israel Estrada on May 7th, 2018 11:48 am

I also don’t believe that teachers should have firearms such as handguns because some students might think that it’s a joke and find the weapon and potentially steal it without anyone knowing. I’m not saying that this is likely, but, some teachers can use the weapon as a threat or use the firearm against a student. Like Ms. Judge said, how will a handgun go against a fully automatic gun.

18. Juan Martinez on May 7th, 2018 11:50 am

Teachers having a gun should not be permitted. Having guns in the classroom is not safe, irresponsible students could try to obtain the weapon. Having the weapon will provoke more people to have weapons in order to feel safe.

19. Itzel Gonzalez on May 7th, 2018 11:53 am

When i first heard about the idea of teachers having guns in school, I was appalled. Guns are what have caused this great deal of chaos and uproar, so why add more guns to the conflict? I am hoping that the government rethinks about this matter and the cons that comes with it. I appreciate that they are trying to find resolutions, but I don’t believe that this resolution is the right one.

20. medelin on May 7th, 2018 11:55 am

I agree with the teachers that think guns aren’t the solution to more guns. I believe this is true because if students get there hands on the gun it would most-likely be the teachers responsibility. Having security and making sure doors are locked and for students not to open the doors is probably the safest. Maybe have the security have a gun but not teacher i think.

21. Ruben Vargas on May 7th, 2018 12:04 pm

I agree with what every teacher said. Allowing teachers to carry a hand held weapon is not going to solve the issue by trying to fix it with the same problem. We should allow our great security staff to do their job because gun violence will just worsen the problem. This also might frighten some students knowing that they are in the same room with a weapon. To me I don’t think I’d feel safe if I knew there was a gun in my teachers desk hiding. Having guns in the classroom will not solve the problems of gun violence in public schools.

22. Michelle Soliz on May 7th, 2018 12:07 pm

Teachers having guns has its pro’s and con’s. These teachers are right, although if they ever go through a situation as those teachers in other schools where criminal acts occurred, they would agree to the fact that we need guns in several targeted class. For example, the first floor by the lunch room. We all know for a fact, that the first and second floor are targets because they are closer to exits and entrances and more kids. Therefore, these people inside the lunch room should be having a gun at hand or have a security with one just in case of an emergency, for their safety and ours.

23. Yesenia Ornelas on May 7th, 2018 12:08 pm

In my opinion teachers shouldn’t have guns because its dangerous for students and teachers. Having guns in a school is not safe because if a student knows where the teacher has the gun the student can injure someone. Coming to school is going to become scary because knowing that there are guns in the school anything can happen. Each year there is a mayor school shooting and if there are guns in the school it can happen anytime. All guns should be banned because they are unnecessary.

24. Julian Andraca on May 7th, 2018 12:11 pm

Keeping guns on our security is just as much protection we need to prevent shootings in schools and other public places, but giving them to teachers in a class setting is just beyond absurd. Knowing many teachers have no idea how to arm a gun, they could possibly be more of a hazard to students than a real gunman. There are many incidents when a gun might go off on accident or it might have loose safety locks. Many teachers also have stress from dealing with students, it’s likely that one might snap one day. It’s better to keep the arming to the security and let them do their job, instead of putting a teacher under more pressure than they already have, Also props to the teachers who know how to arm themselves.

25. Pablo Ceballos on May 7th, 2018 12:13 pm

I agree with teachers speaking in on their opinions because as students we find out who is in support and who is against. I think teachers should not carry guns because they can be taken away from students. In my opinion the security staff should carry them instead. If not, no one should have them.

26. Cris on May 7th, 2018 2:06 pm

Great debate, I don’t see any bias on this since it’s actual teachers talking about what they feel and shows whether they’re willing or prepared to take someone else’s life or hurt someone else.

27. Angel D on May 7th, 2018 2:13 pm

In my opinion, teachers should not be allowed to carry guns in school. There are many risk factors when it comes to carrying a gun, but although it can protect students from an intruder, there are still many dangerous things about doing this. For starters, if someone else besides the teacher were to get a hold of that gun, their carelessness can be the deaths of many. Also, if the teacher is not mentally stable or pushed to the limit,there can also be problems at hand. If the people wanted to change gun laws and protect students, this is the wrong way.

28. Luis Mota on May 7th, 2018 2:17 pm

I totally agree ms Kozlowski on saying more guns are not the solution. Bringing guns in school is just a horrible idea the only people who should have guns should be trained security. Other than that no one should have a gun especially a teacher who is in a room full of kids. A class is no place for a gun.

29. Starlit on May 7th, 2018 2:20 pm

Wow… In my opinion, i think teachers carrying guns? shouldn’t be a law or legal because fighting violence, with violence? what is that going to solve, honestly. they should teach staff members and teachers techniques on how to take down a shooter without using a gun.

30. Dan Nunez on May 7th, 2018 2:26 pm

I agree with consumer education teacher Natalie Kozlowski on guns not being a solution to guns. I bellieve that having for example teachers armed just add more fuel to the fire. It would make some kids hesistant to come to class if they know theres a gun in class. Firefighters sometimes make another fire to extinguish another fire but in this case it means people will get hurt if we fight guns with guns.

31. Jacob on May 7th, 2018 2:30 pm

I agree with majority of the teacher that they shouldn’t be able to carry guns. I think this because there is already security set in this school and there is no real need to teachers carrying a gun. If a teacher carried a gun there are many things that can go wrong. For example if students know where the teacher has the gun they can be able grab it to. Another thing is the teacher can also use the gun on the students if they ever have a problem with them. There are much more cons than pros for this argument.

32. Kevin Padilla on May 10th, 2018 11:35 am

I disagree teacher should be given guns for the protection of their students because of a school shooter comes in I don’t think they stop them by sending them to LAC

33. Johan Rodriguez on May 10th, 2018 11:40 am

Giving teachers guns will only worsen the situation, and creates even more, such as the situation in where a student finds the firearm, and potentially threatens another student or even the teacher. Don’t fight guns with guns.

34. zury O. on May 10th, 2018 11:56 am

I disagree with the fact that people expect to stop gun violence with more gun violence. The action of teachers obtaining guns should not be followed through because guns are unpredictable, teens are impulsive and it makes the environment way more dangerous than it needs to be. 19 children in the united states are either killed or injured by a firearm, which is a number that’s bound to increase with curious children looking at the teachers gun, grabbing the fire arm trying to make the rest of the class laugh, or even taking the gun for an impulsive violent act. Instead of promoting the usage of guns in classroom where a school shooting has a very low chance of happening (Roughly 1 in 614,000,000), actions that are much more predictable and safe should be motivated.

35. Reyna Hernandez on May 10th, 2018 12:06 pm

Surely letting teachers have guns with them will provoke fear and mistrust in the students, not necessarily because teachers aren’t trustworthy and confidential but because of the major responsibility a gun is and the possible danger of a student getting their hands on it. I completely agree with Natalie Kozlowski when she said, “How do I make sure someone in the class is not going to overpower me because they know I have a gun?”. It is unpredictable what can happen with having teachers handle guns. If the situation is already bad enough with the current gun laws in the country, what good would it do if the amount of guns in schools are increased?

36. Miranda on May 10th, 2018 12:24 pm

It seems counter-intuitive to place guns in the hands of teacher’s who have volunteered to do so, if a shooter were to come into school with high powered automatic firearms how is a mere hand gun going to stop that kind of destruction. Your’re merely fighting fire with fire, and that’s just going to burn the students just trying to get by and survive. I know i wouldn’t feel any safer in school, a gun in a high school setting can backfire at any moment and i’d rather we avoid this dilemma entirely before we see a news broadcasting of another school shooting and knowing that gun came from inside the school.