Most East students skip flu shot

Photo found on www.slate.com

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Photo found on www.slate.com

A majority of Morton East students haven’t gotten the flu shot even though it is recommended.

The seasonal influenza (flu) has really made its mark in 2017 and the beginning of 2018. According the Chicago Tribune, there has been 6.2% visits to the ER for flu-like illness during January 7-13. Hospitals have reported 30 to 40 patients coming in each day. In Illinois, 1 out of 30 children have died in the 2017-2018 season. There is no information regarding if these children had gotten the shot or not. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have said that everyone needs to get the flu shot. The flu shot is targeted to attack the virus of that year. Although, the shot does not prevent you from getting the flu, it lowers the chances of you dying from it. A survey taken at Morton East high schools of sophomores, juniors and seniors asked “Have you gotten the flu shot recently? Yes or no.” 76% of students said they have not and 24% of students have gotten it. 

A Morton east student’s mother, Maria Bastida, feels she wasn’t fully informed of the side effects of a vaccine.   

“I don’t have that much information to make a decision. I would need to do research and see if it’s worth it to give the shot to my kids,” Bastida said. 

On the other hand, mother of two, Vivianna Lopez, did her research when it came to vacinating her children.  

“With my first kid, I did a lot of research regarding the effects of vaccinating a child. I’ve heard that some vaccines cause down syndrome or autism and I didn’t want to chance that with my kid. Ultimately, I didn’t think the vaccine would hurt my child,” Lopez said.  

Senior Claudia Del Toro disagrees with both Bastida and Lopez.  

“Although I got my shots, I feel like I would’ve been fine without them. Vaccinating children can be dangerous because you don’t know how their body would react to it,” Del Toro said.  

Symptoms of the flu include fever, chills, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, muscles or body aches, headaches, tiredness, vomiting and diarrhea. If you believe that you may have the flu wait out symptoms and if worsen, get medical attention.  

5 Responses to “Most East students skip flu shot”

1. David Zarco on May 7th, 2018 9:32 am

I don’t understand how people seem to think that vaccine cause down syndrome, when down syndrome has to do with your chromosomes, while vaccines have to do with antibodies and B cells. However, it is true that most people don’t know how their kid will react to the vaccine, it’s still better to inject your kid with the vaccine so that their immune system will be ready to fight it when they actually get it.

[Reply]

2. Selena Torres on May 7th, 2018 10:39 am

The last time i got the flu shot last was in 6th grade which was when i was 12, and I’m 16 now. I personally don’t get the flu shot anymore because i would get really sick a lot and miss school a lot too. So in 7th grade i didn’t get it because my mom forgot to make the appointment and we never went for me to get the flu shot, i noticed i would only get a mild cold when the weather would start to get cold and then another when the weather would start getting warmer, so i only get a cold 2 times a year. Which is why i don’t get the flu shot anymore. But i do think that when your a baby and a younger child they should get the flu shot just in case they do get the flu the shot will prevent them for possibly dying from it.

[Reply]

3. Jacklyn Vega on May 7th, 2018 12:00 pm

I believe that all students should take the flu shot because it prevents them from the virus. Also if they do get the flu the side effects wont be as dangerous and will most likely protect them from death. Students need to realize that getting the flu is a major risk that can cause you to die, many students need to be more aware of influenza and the causes that it has in our body. If most of the students get the flu shot their more guaranteed to be safe from the horrible sickness. I recommend everyone to get the flu shot before they are in danger.

[Reply]

4. Hugo on May 7th, 2018 12:01 pm

I believe that schools should require flu shots and find a way to get them to each student in the school. In Mexico I was told that for physical exams they were done to students in the school, something like that should be available for students and they would be able to include flu shots during the winter. The more kids ignore the flu shots the more of a chance it can spread, Ive had it myself and it was a terrible week, I wasn’t able to attend school and was behind on all my classes.

[Reply]

5. Zuleyma Razo on May 9th, 2018 9:57 am

Personally, I believe people should be vaccinated for diseases like the flu because while it does not eliminate the chances of getting the flu it does reduces the chances of dying from the flu, which is ultimately better. Also, the idea of kids getting down syndrome or autism from a vaccine is completely ludicrous. Down syndrome and autism are genetic disease not disease passed from vaccines, therefore, people should be getting their flu shots and other vaccines. I have received all my vaccines and am grateful I have because there are studies that prove the effectiveness and provided safety of vaccines.

[Reply]

Most East students skip flu shot