Most East students skip flu shot

Photo found on www.slate.com

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Photo found on www.slate.com

A majority of Morton East students haven’t gotten the flu shot even though it is recommended.

The seasonal influenza (flu) has really made its mark in 2017 and the beginning of 2018. According the Chicago Tribune, there has been 6.2% visits to the ER for flu-like illness during January 7-13. Hospitals have reported 30 to 40 patients coming in each day. In Illinois, 1 out of 30 children have died in the 2017-2018 season. There is no information regarding if these children had gotten the shot or not. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have said that everyone needs to get the flu shot. The flu shot is targeted to attack the virus of that year. Although, the shot does not prevent you from getting the flu, it lowers the chances of you dying from it. A survey taken at Morton East high schools of sophomores, juniors and seniors asked “Have you gotten the flu shot recently? Yes or no.” 76% of students said they have not and 24% of students have gotten it. 

A Morton east student’s mother, Maria Bastida, feels she wasn’t fully informed of the side effects of a vaccine.   

“I don’t have that much information to make a decision. I would need to do research and see if it’s worth it to give the shot to my kids,” Bastida said. 

On the other hand, mother of two, Vivianna Lopez, did her research when it came to vacinating her children.  

“With my first kid, I did a lot of research regarding the effects of vaccinating a child. I’ve heard that some vaccines cause down syndrome or autism and I didn’t want to chance that with my kid. Ultimately, I didn’t think the vaccine would hurt my child,” Lopez said.  

Senior Claudia Del Toro disagrees with both Bastida and Lopez.  

“Although I got my shots, I feel like I would’ve been fine without them. Vaccinating children can be dangerous because you don’t know how their body would react to it,” Del Toro said.  

Symptoms of the flu include fever, chills, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, muscles or body aches, headaches, tiredness, vomiting and diarrhea. If you believe that you may have the flu wait out symptoms and if worsen, get medical attention.