Town of Cicero, East students discuss disaster relief funding

Recently%2C+Pony+Express+News+reporters+met+with+members+of+the+disaster+relief+team+of+Town+of+Cicero+to+discuss+where+East+donations+could+be+sent.++
Recently, Pony Express News reporters met with members of the disaster relief team of Town of Cicero to discuss where East donations could be sent.

With all the recent natural disasters, and an increase in fundraising to support the victims, finding the right organization to donate to can be a complicated matter.

On December 7, 2018,  a group of journalism students met with the Disaster Relief Committee of the Town of Cicero on a meeting regarding how the money collected would be delivered to the victims in Puerto Rico without keeping any profit, meaning all 100% of profit would be going to those in need. The meeting focused on finding an organization that was not profit, though most organizations kept 10%. Throughout the meeting, members discussed on ways the money could distributed. An idea was that someone would be going to Puerto Rico and they would’ve paid all their own expenses, once landing they would directly hand it over to those in charge of handling the money for repairs.

“In Mexico, some goods get intercepted because it is hard to get too,” Tim Truesdale said.

It’s hard trying to find an organization that is going to give the money to the people and not just profit off of it. It is also hard to find a credible organization.

“Project Hope 4 stars, ICNA Relief USA 4 stars, Heart to Heart International 4 stars, International Relief Teams 4 starts, Global Communities 3 stars, Oxfam Americ 3 stars, Water Mission 4 stars, Mercy Corps 3 stars,” Maria Arias said.

The purpose of raising the money was to help families and students so they can get a start to getting back to their lives.

“Dra Maria Codilla High Schol sent a letter requesting some funds to support the students and the families,” Maria Arias said.