Car robberies happen to half, survey says

Stay+alert.+Carjackings+increasing+in+the+Chicago+area.+
Stay alert. Carjackings increasing in the Chicago area.

iStock (djedzura), "Chicago sees violent carjackings surge, even in trendy neighborhoods," Fox News

Xavier Saucedo and Pedro Padilla

Nearly half of Morton East students claim they have gotten their cars broken into survey results say.

Imagine having your car being jacked! On November 13, in the early morning a carjacking crew from the North and Near West sides began stealing cars out North and made their way into suburban Cicero. The crew struck 3 cars on North, West side between 2:30 to 4:30 A.M. They later moved on to Cicero robbing victims from 5 to 5:30 A.M.

“Scary. My parents watch my kids in Cicero. It makes me nervous. It makes me feel a bit unsafe, but at the same time more aware of my surroundings. It makes me paranoid just thinking about it,” dean of students Ms. Gomez said.

It doesn’t matter who you are you could have the same reaction.

“I would make sure to lock my doors all the time. The carjacking’s do make me feel unsafe. It makes me be more careful. There’s not a big chance, but still a percentage it could happen to you,” sophomore Jorge Sanchez said.

Also Junior Isaac Carnalla has gotten his vehicle broken into. He talks a bit about the carjacking’s in the community.

“It makes me feel unsafe. I got to worry about who and what is around me,” Carnalla said.

Not only have these couple of students gotten their car broken into, but also Senior Antonio Maldonado. He shares his feelings towards the carjacking’s.

“I don’t feel safe because I be out around those times when I am on my way back home from work you never know when it could happen” Maldonado said.

Chicago police gave some advice to say to citizens.

“These carjackings are largely crimes of opportunity. Motorists need to be aware of their surroundings” Chicago police Chief of Patrol Fred Waller said.

9 Responses to “Car robberies happen to half, survey says”

1. adviser on December 26th, 2017 6:58 am

This article is scary news. Carjackings are on the rise around Chicago. It would have been nice to add some research on what drivers can do to make themselves less accessible or victimized to car theft. Tips for your classmates would have added news value.

But, good fresh news!

[Reply]

2. Oscar miranda on January 8th, 2018 8:43 am

Great article!

[Reply]

3. Eve Molly Esleta on January 8th, 2018 8:46 am

The article brings awareness to students who own their own car and brings it to school or other arenas. Very informative.

[Reply]

4. Perla Valadez on January 8th, 2018 9:57 am

It’s a good article, everyone needs to be aware and be safe, even if they don’t own a car.

[Reply]

5. Edwin Sanchez on January 8th, 2018 9:59 am

its crazy how the number of car jacking just keeps growing

[Reply]

6. Samantha C on January 8th, 2018 1:26 pm

This was Good article, good to see someone worried about the community.

[Reply]

7. Fernando on February 6th, 2018 10:57 am

I think it’s crazy how car jackings are happening over here in Cicero, not very expected over here.

[Reply]

8. Efren Carreño on February 6th, 2018 11:08 am

Great article. I’ve been held at gun point before and it’s the worst experience of my life. You basically feel useless and all your rights just get handed over to the bugler.

[Reply]

9. Juancarlos on February 6th, 2018 12:10 pm

Car jacking is a scary thing. My mother always told me to hide your stuff if you’re gonna leave it in the car like in the glove compartment or under the car seat. I’m glad someone decided to bring more attention to it. Good read.

[Reply]