East students drive illegally

Cynthia Heredia and Yesenia Garcia

The majority of Morton East students are driving illegally, survey says

In a survey of 110 students at Morton East high school, 66% of them admitted to driving without a permit or license and 44% of the students drive with a permit or license. According to Find Law, one in every five fatal car crashes in the United States each year involves a driver who does not have a valid license.  8,400 people die on average each year in crashes with unlicensed drivers. Penalties for driving without a license could be getting your car impounded or jail time.

“I don’t know where the driver’s Ed classes are at, if I knew where I can take the class I would take it no matter what the price,” sophomore Victor Roman said.

His fellow colleague thought the same.

“I didn’t know drivers Ed existed; I would’ve taken the class if I knew,” junior Mario Cabrera said.

Students don’t have their license because they’re either failed to be informed or don’t want to go through the process of drivers Ed class.

“I’m waiting to turn 18 so I can drive with an actual license instead of going through the process of a permit,” senior Julio Herrera said.

Underclassmen think the same.

“Drivers Ed is boring and expensive so might as well take the risk,” An anonymous sophomore boy said.

Other teens can’t afford drivers education class.

“It’s a lot of money required to take a driver’s Ed,” senior Omar Meraz said.

8 Responses to “East students drive illegally”

1. Estephanie rodriguez on January 8th, 2018 2:32 pm

Interesting and relatable.

[Reply]

2. Perla Vargas on January 8th, 2018 2:33 pm

They little bit of information you provided was informative.

[Reply]

3. Bryan Hernandez on February 6th, 2018 10:58 am

I can relate to what senior Julio Herrea said. I’m also waiting till I turn 18 so I can get the actual license but for now I’ll be careful driving illegally.

[Reply]

4. Liz on February 6th, 2018 10:58 am

Many people always prefer to get their license once they turn 18 to avoid the long process of doing hours and even first getting a permit.

[Reply]

5. Emanuel Ortiz on February 6th, 2018 11:00 am

I don’t understand why drivers Ed classes are so expensive when its something that’s required to drive around safely.

[Reply]

6. Hector on February 6th, 2018 11:01 am

I understand why students can’t take driving schools if they can’t afford it; however, it’s not an excuse to continue driving if you don’t have a valid drivers license. It’s dangerous and risky for the driver, passenger, and pedestrians if the driver isn’t well taught.

[Reply]

7. Alan De la rosa on February 6th, 2018 12:03 pm

Didnt know that there is that many students driving with out a license.

[Reply]

8. Jose Bustamante on February 6th, 2018 9:08 pm

It’s quite fascinating to know that a majority of students are driving to school illegally. I do understand that drivers ed classes may be expensive, but it’s better than to be in jail.

[Reply]