Distracted drivers cause accidents

Senior+Juan+Ortega%27s+dad+recently+was+in+a+car+accident.+++Insurance+paid+for+the+damage%2C+but+it+was+expensive.+
Senior Juan Ortega's dad recently was in a car accident.   Insurance paid for the damage, but it was expensive.

Senior Juan Ortega's dad recently was in a car accident. Insurance paid for the damage, but it was expensive.

Brittany Rivera, Karina Torres, and Juan Ortega

More than half of the students in Morton East High School have been in car accidents.

In a random survey of 100 students in Morton East high school, only 58 have been involved in a car crash.  Most car accidents and rear end collisions are caused by the vehicle in the back following closely.  Each year nearly 1.3 million people die in car accidents, approximately 3,287 deaths per day.  On November 9th 2017 a CTA Pink line train hit a car in Cicero Illinois.

“(I wasn’t thinking anything I was) confused; my son has autism and he was crying, I was shocked,” security Jennifer Gomez said.

Although most car accidents do happen because of the car in the back following too closely, there are other reasons for car accidents.

“(The reason for the car accident was because the other person was) on their phone,” dean Joanne Rzadski said.

Other accidents could be because of car malfunctions.

“(There was” something on the road and the two tires in the back popped,” senior Lissette Vega said.

The federal Highway Administration tells us that 45% of car crashes are caused by people running a stop light.

“The guy ran a red light and hit me,” security Jennifer Gomez said.

Another accident victim agrees.

“(The reason for the car accident was a) red light,” sophomore Mike Mendoza said.

People have different reactions and think different things during a car accident. Many people get adrenaline rushes, but others go in shock.

“Oh my gosh I hope everyone’s okay,” dean Joanne Rzadski said.

Other people are in shock that they don’t even know what hit them.

“I don’t know what happened,” sophomore Mike Mendoza said.

Researchers say that taking your eye off the road and being distracted for just two seconds can put you in risk of crashing.

“It all happened so fast,” senior Lissette Vega said.

3 Responses to “Distracted drivers cause accidents”

1. Melissa on January 8th, 2018 8:48 am

Well written and nice facts

2. Erick on February 6th, 2018 11:06 am

This article was well written. Speaks many facts on this topic that should be made more aware of because students at our school drive more now especially without a license and a permit.They also like driving really fast which is really dangerous not only to them, but to the community.

3. Leas Galindo on February 6th, 2018 11:07 am

I️ believe that they could’ve given more facts, there wasn’t thy much facts that the quotes could lead to it had a good start and I️t did give enough facts in the begging but twoards the end I️t really lost me

Distracted drivers cause accidents