Filipinos share thoughts on US

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte and US President Donald Trump discuss matters during meeting at  Philippine International  Convention Center

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte and US President Donald Trump discuss matters during meeting at Philippine International Convention Center

Karl Norman

Karl Norman

Eve Molly Esleta, Reporter, Philippine bureau

Filipino people have mixed thoughts on the conversation between U.S. President and Filipino leader, they speak out about how they feel.

During the month of November, President Trump visited Asian countries and met with leaders. His last stop on his Asian trip was the island of Philippines. Some were eager for the two leaders to meet, others didn’t feel the same way. Their meeting was over hyped by many. Both presidents established a relationship because of their similarities such as having a blunt personality and comparable thoughts on certain issues. The two leaders spoke various topics such as war on drugs and international condemnation.

“The talk the two had didn’t result in any breakthrough in many issues that should have been raised,” U.K. doctor Jay Ar said.

Even much more older people who know about politics agree that the meeting wasn’t as big as it was promoted.

“Too many issues they didn’t talk more about,” Bert De Torres said.

Others believe the meeting was long over due and brought attention towards Philippines.

“Their meeting is something that should have been marked as a milestone in recent Philippine history. However, it did not turn out quite well. Neither appears to have diplomatic approach to forge a standing relationship, putting the country as greater risk,” teacher Karen Salvador said.

Filipinos were proud that Philippines (which is underestimated by many) was brought to notice by others.

“It’s an honor for the two having had met. As a small country compared to the United States, it is a privilege to be recognized,” Nurse Bianca May said.

Some think that this will build a good future for the two leaders and their countries.

“They both understand each other, they are establishing a good relationship that will help the economy and they both want to help each other,” Lourdes Manalo said.