Toys R Us files bankruptcy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Toys R Us files bankruptcy

A fellow senior student Nicholas Rico is holding Uno Cards. Uno Cards are a traditional family game.

Erika Quezada

Erika Quezada

Erika Quezada

Toys R Us might shut down due to their major debt. And yes, that saddens East students.

Toys R Us reported- something that happened in order to get information- for bankruptcy because they’re roughly $5 billion in debt, yet that doesn’t mean they’re closing their stores completely. Stores will remain open for business as usual. Toys R Us was affected by online sales such as Amazon. Since they filed for bankruptcy, Toys R Us has been working with lawyers at Kirkland and Ellis to address it’s debt. The debt restructuring would help provide Toys R Us the financial flexibility to invest in it’s business as it repositions itself to the retail landscape again. In a survey of 100 Morton East students, 80 percent said yes they’ve been to Toys R Us and 20 percent said no.

A student from Morton East High School understands why they’re going out of business.

“I see many kids not play with toys anymore because I see most of them use electronics now,” junior student Destiny Ledesma said.

One of the local teachers at Morton East agrees with the student.

“I’m not surprised that Toys R Us is going out of business because of electronics,” art teacher Robert Moriaty said.

A fellow colleague of Moriaty was also not surprised that the company was losing business.

“It doesn’t surprise me that the store is going out of business, thanks to electronics and services like Amazon,” math teacher Daniel Elkins said.

Fellow math teacher Courtney Miller also agreed with her colleagues that Toys R Us was not going to last long.

“Online shopping was soon going to take over most stores,” junior math teacher Courtney Miller said.

Another Morton East student was not surprised of the failing business of Toys R Us.

“I don’t care because I don’t really shop there anymore because of online shopping and electronics,” senior Chris Rodriguez said.

Honors English teacher knew the tragedy was going to come sooner or later.

“Online shopping was going to take over stores sooner or later,” Daniel Tondelli said.

25 Responses to “Toys R Us files bankruptcy”

1. Jaquelin Duran on November 8th, 2017 9:40 am

It doesn’t surprise me that Toys R Us is going out of business as well, but I think it’s also sad how kids at such a young age are getting electronics, and not enjoying their childhood.

2. Celeste Barba on November 10th, 2017 8:34 pm

you spelled Moriarty wrong…….

3. Jose Guzman on November 16th, 2017 1:59 pm

Its ‘s sad that Toys R Us is going out of business and it’s all due to technology. Now instead of parents buying a doll or board games they buy tablets and phones to their children. Thats why Toys R Us is not getting money.

4. Melissa on November 16th, 2017 8:03 pm

Electronics are taking over the generations now, we shouldn’t be surprised if ToysRUs ever goes out of business, kids are just not as interested in toys as before sadly…

5. Jose on November 20th, 2017 12:48 pm

Also technology is pushing toy stores to closed because kids now these days want smartphones and tablets instead of toys.

6. Alexis Ramos on November 20th, 2017 2:30 pm

this article speaks the truth

7. Cclaudia Hernandez on November 27th, 2017 10:21 am

I dont think it’s going to close because a lot of people still buy from there. Then again kids no a days use more smart phones then anything.

8. Cclaudia Hernandez on November 27th, 2017 10:21 am

now a days

9. Jamilette on November 27th, 2017 10:25 am

As the percentage of electronics being bought for little kids keeps increasing, it’s well known that the percentage of toys being bought for them is decreasing. It only makes sense that the most recognized toy store is going into debt.

10. Cesar Escarpita on November 27th, 2017 10:26 am

I can see how Toys R Us is closing because amazon can most likely offer the same thing for possibly cheaper and you don’t have to go visit anywhere as it ships to you

11. Erika Quezada on November 28th, 2017 2:36 pm

That’s right!! But another reason why Toys R Us is filing for bankruptcy is because most of the kids are using technology these days.

12. Luis Cano on November 27th, 2017 11:32 am

Good article

13. Johnny Barrios on November 28th, 2017 12:23 pm

It is terrible to Toys R Us in this predicament. I remember when I use to go their and buy my Legos. Its very interesting to see the potency of Amazon. Amazon is destroying the competition by being so convenient to the costumers. Toys R Us will now need to take perilous decisions because they have a huge deficit. Moreover, Toys R Us will need to contemplate something to get back to business. Amazon in the other hand has a huge advantage because they have everything and get it in your home in two days.

14. Brenda Zuloaga on November 28th, 2017 2:33 pm

Unlike others, some part of of me is bewildered by this fact. This was our childhood. Kids still have love for this timeless toy store. There might be a change in the wind if net neutrality ends up being thrown out the window. Shopping in toy stores like Toys R Us isn’t a completely fruitless endeavor.

15. Jorge Jimenez on November 28th, 2017 9:36 pm

It is really sad to see Toys R Us in this condition. Toys R Us is a store that I liked because (of course) the toys they had. I remember always wanting to go there every time I pass by the store, and when you walked in and saw all those toys was like you were in another world. In my opinion, they should really promote electronics more, as they do but not much, to at least compete as people could go to the store and by it, and for children who are interested in electronics and also get a little interest in the toys. Also in my opinion, if they do not do something to compete, Toys R Us will probably be the next Blockbuster.

16. Miguel on November 29th, 2017 10:51 am

It saddens me a bit to see Toys R Us under these conditions. When I was little I didn’t really go to Toys R Us a lot, my parents took me more to Walmart. I did go once to Toys R Us and it was amazing to see all those toys, I wanted to take all of them. Toys R Us has definitely made kids happy with the variety of toys and now they’re going through a hard time. Like it’s said in the article, I believe one of the mayor causes is technology.

17. Maximus Comas on November 29th, 2017 9:22 pm

Stores like Toys R Us are bound to go out business because of online shopping. Online shopping makes getting things much more easier, people are able to stay home and shop rather than going out to the store. Online retailers also offer more better prices to the consumer than the store would. For example the online bushiness Wish would probably sell what Toy R Us offers but for a better price. So Toys R Us going out of business shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone really.

18. Emilie Ramos on November 29th, 2017 10:19 pm

I am utterly disappointed about Toys R Us’s situation. I have many memories going there and checking out the toys with my older brother. Amazon is a juggernaut when it comes to toys now and will continue to grow. Online shopping is the future and Toys R Us should step up their game if they want to survive the market.

19. Jennifer Ramos on November 30th, 2017 1:36 am

Sad to know what this has come to. I understand how technology has opened up new opportunities to us but it’s also very disappointing to hear about the situation this company is going through. I have a 6 year old nephew and I could see how the days have changed. Instead of wanting to go to a toy store like Toys R Us, he prefers to ask for a new game console. He knows how to function a phone and download apps on them. The last time he got a toy from Toys R Us was around 3 years ago. Now we order him things he sees online. I’m sorry to hear about this.

20. Elisa R Chavez on November 30th, 2017 7:32 am

I think it’s pretty sad such a well known toy company is having such a difficult time. Because of the more convenient way of online shopping and a change in interest from toys to electronics it’s not to surprising this would happen. I don’t think there is no hope, I hope they would continue to run, some might shop just for the nostalgia factor when being a little kid. Besides who doesn’t just love to go and explore a good old toy store.

21. Aileen on November 30th, 2017 8:13 am

Im not really surprised, everyone now buys everything online because you can find the same toy,shirt, ect. for a lower price.

22. Julian Andraca on November 30th, 2017 11:33 am

It’s pretty much a downer that many children are wanting electronics more than ever. With the internet and social media finally kicking in, it’s effecting many younger kids in wanting to own an electronic Via tablet, phone, or a console. This article hits to close to home for me because I have a nephew who lives with my family and she is 7. She has destroyed at least 2 tablets that my dad has purchased for her and she still has the audacity to ask her mom to borrow her phone for games or youtube. Luckily for us, She has kind of moved passed electronics and is starting to ask us to buy toys instead of electronics. Cheers for us, I guess.

23. Pedro Rodriguez on January 12th, 2018 8:11 am

Honestly playing with a toy that does the same thing over & over again will eventually get boring. That’s why electronics will have an advantage over something that is physical. With electronic, the choices are endless. 🙂

24. Nicolas Rico on January 30th, 2018 3:37 pm

DAS ME

25. Dan Nunez on May 7th, 2018 2:26 pm

Having to hear and read that Toys R Us is filing for bankruptcy is terrible. I have so many memories going there buying some of my childhood toys. But in the direction technology is going in it shouldn’t surprise me. Kids at the age 5 or 6 ask for PCs, PS4s, or tablets instead of action figures or legos. Soon enough toys won’t be as big as they were before.

Toys R Us files bankruptcy