Over 70% of Morton East students have witnessed animal cruelty

Emilio Balderrama, Andrea Crews, and Marco Juarez

Seventy-two percent of Morton East students have witnessed animal cruelty in their lives.

According to PETA, an animal is abused every 10 seconds. That means that 3.7 million animals are abused a year, and that’s just in the US alone. So it’s no surprise when in a survey of 100 random Morton East students found that 72 of them have witnessed animal cruelty. Animal cruelty can be defined as deliberate abuse of an animal. Or simply the failure to take care of an animal is considered animal abuse.

“I saw a family member beat a dog once, and if I saw him do it again, I’d knock his [butt] out,” an anonymous junior said.

He is not the only one who would become violent if he saw an animal being abused.

“I would beat that dude’s [butt] and call the police,” senior Angel Soto said.

Some students were a part of animal cruelty and they didn’t feel good about it. The fact that they killed for food still didn’t change the sentiment.

“My family and I hung a goat to eat when I was 15 and I felt so terrible. I didn’t know, like, what to do,” senior Angel Soto said.

Whether it’s a goat or a squirrel, the abuse and murder of helpless animals invokes similar emotions.

“My cousin made me shoot a squirrel like five times and I felt so bad,” an anonymous sophomore said.

Some people feel like abusing an animal is as bad as harming a human.

“It’s so wrong. It’s as bad as abusing a person,” counselor Miss Oneill said.

Whether it’s a animal or a person, it’s clear that it widely accepted that abusing is wrong.

If you witness any animal cruelty in Cicero you can call 708-606-8400. To help prevent animal cruelty you can donate at www.aspca.org/donate

12 Responses to “Over 70% of Morton East students have witnessed animal cruelty”

1. Erica Belloso on November 25th, 2014 10:55 am

I really like the format of this article. They not only had a survey but had additional information of where to call in case they witness animal abuse 🙂 they followed the format. Good job!

[Reply]

2. Carmelo on November 25th, 2014 11:02 am

This topic is the one I really take serious, animals all over the world are treated horribly. It makes me furious and this article shows how animal cruelty is wrong. The article also shows the perspective of a person who commit cruelty to animals and how they feel.then there also a number which informs people that you can call if you witness animal cruelty.this artist cle is great and hope a lot of people see the message that animals are living things too just like us.

[Reply]

3. Alma Rojas on November 25th, 2014 11:11 pm

This is a good article. In my opinion it might need a few more quotes but other than that great. Animal abuse is (for me) one of the worst things that can happen. I have two, 2-year old dogs at home and i wouldn’t tolerate them being abused. I really liked this article, great statistics. Good job (:

[Reply]

4. Veronica on December 3rd, 2014 9:41 am

When I read about animal cruelty I get all sentimental because as same as a person animals also have feelings and they suffer as same as a person. Most animals are get killed or harm are harmless animals I have seen it my self and it’s horrible specially when you can’t do anything about it.

[Reply]

5. Miguel Castro on December 3rd, 2014 9:43 am

The article was okay. There are some good quotes that bring credibility. I felt that the article needed more statistics and more information about animal cruelty from sources.

[Reply]

6. Cindy Sanchez on December 3rd, 2014 12:10 pm

This article is very good because I myself can’t stand when people BEAT they’re dogs. I have a pit bull and I treat him like a human he’s like my son

[Reply]

7. Karla Bravo on December 12th, 2014 1:01 pm

I liked the article. Liked how well the information and data you guys had. I do wish it a bit longer but that’s okay.

[Reply]

8. Alejandro Viramontes on January 21st, 2015 2:29 pm

Animal cruelty is one of the most heartbreaking things a human can do to a defenseless animal. It’s also not very surprising that only 72% of people have witnessed it, but that number just keeps increasing daily. As long as there are cruel people in this world, animal cruelty will never end.

[Reply]

9. Vanessa on January 22nd, 2015 12:16 pm

I love the topic since animal cruelty is such an issue for me. But PETA isn’t a great foundation for anti-cruelty against animals. A majority of the funds they receive go to the actors and parties they host. And the animals they do take in, if not adopted by a certain date are let go into the world homeless. They treat the animals horribly.

[Reply]

10. David Guzman, Christian Roodriguez on January 22nd, 2015 12:18 pm

The information you have in the article is amazing, although it gets to us because we are against animal abuse. We hope that people will contact the number in your article for any animal abuse.

[Reply]

11. Guillermo Ortega on January 22nd, 2015 12:21 pm

I liked the article. Animal cruelty is so wrong. They should be treated good like humans treat each other with respect and care about one another.

[Reply]

12. Kimberly Mendoza on January 26th, 2015 8:54 am

This is was great article because it does talk about a very important issue. Animal cruelty happens everywhere and some people fail to realize that this an issue that needs to be fixed. Great job! Also I find it great that a number was included at the end of the article to report animal abuse.

[Reply]