Career profile : I want to be a Neonatal nurse

This is a Neonatal nurse providing care for a baby.

Jaquelin Duran Olvera

Neonatal nurses care for healthy infants, provide focused care for premature or ill newborns, or work exclusively with seriously ill newborns in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).

Minimum degree you’ll need to practice: You must be a registered nurse with a Bachelor of Science in nursing (BSN). The starting salary for neonatal nursing is 107,500. To work for neonatal nursing you must be certified in Neonatal Resuscitation and/or Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing you may also be required to complete a minimum number of years of clinical experience in a hospital setting.  There are a number of benefits to being a neonatal nurse, including a supportive professional community and good pay.

The most economic option would be Morton college because you will pay a price of $88.00 per credit with 4 credit classes it is a total of $352. In addition 72% of the students receive an annual total grant aid of $5633, and 68% received a spell grant of $4944. I also picked Morton college because it has a program of 3+1 with Benedictine university. Moreover Morton’s college annual tuition and fees would be $4,116. These are the reasons why I picked Morton college and stay away from private, for profit schools like fox college that offers a degree of science in nursing because you can get the same degree elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

Q&A

Daisy Davila is a registered nurse and she’s really successful and building up to focus on her main nursing career.

1. What is a typical day being an rn?
A typical day would be getting the patient chart to review their history and reason they are being admitted. You always need to read about the patient before he or she arrives. The physical and history lets you know everything a patient has went through during their life. From surgeries to doctors’ visits, allergies and current changes. Once the patient arrives I check their wrist band, I have them verify their full name and date of birth. We always want to make sure we have the right patient to avoid any mistakes. Depending on the surgery or procedure, I put the IV in for medication and sedation purpose. I explain to the patient what will happen before, during and after their surgery/procedure. Once the patient comes back, I get their vitals and start to recover them. The whole day I make sure I chart how the patient is doing and other charges that have to get put in the system.

2. What are some of the negative and positives of being an rn?
Some negative things I would say is I dislike having so many patients the same day. You do not have time to give them the extra care they need. I once I thought that being a nurse was going to be easy and I would be able to have the extra time to talk to my patients, but I was wrong. Being a nurse is having to work in a very fast pace and having to multitask. I have a 12hr shift and I am safe to say that I only get to sit down a total of 2hrs that whole shift if I am lucky.
Something positive is that I have good health benefits. I love to help people get better. With the knowledge I get at work, I am able to help my family and friends with what they should do to be healthy. I like my 12hr shift because I work three days out of the week and them I am done for the rest of the week.

3. How did you learn about the job position of a registered nurse?
I went online and applied at different hospitals. I got a call within a week or two after applying.

4. Why did you decide to become a registered nurse?
I decided to go with the nursing career because my grandmother passed away from cancer and since then, I have set in mind to try and help as many people as I can.

5. What made you want to do this type of work?

6. What kind of changes would make being an rn more enjoyable?
Like everywhere else, having more staff will help so much. Maybe that way I can have less patients and I will be able to be more attentive to my patients.

7. What advice would you give to a person wanting to pursue this career in your field?                                                                                                                                                                         The advice I would give is to follow their dreams to become the professional they want to be. Always look at the different options that the career offers and never settle for anything less that you want.
8. I’m pursuing a neonatal nurse career but first I have to be a Registered nurse what do you recommend should be my next step to get into the Neonatal Nurse unit?
I would suggest you volunteer so that you can be hands on to experience the environment. Like everything, there are stressful days as well as enjoyable days.

9. What is the approximate pay range in this career area to start?
Depending on the state and experience, an RN can start at $25.

10. Where you scared the first time you had to draw blood out from a person and did you get dizzy?
I was excited to draw blood. As bad it may sound, I love and always look forward to draw blood.

2 Responses to “Career profile : I want to be a Neonatal nurse”

1. SOMB on May 7th, 2018 1:27 am

Thank you for this post. Its very inspiring.

2. James Lee Tucker on May 18th, 2018 7:50 pm

I met my friend by chance the other day and he introduced me to her fiancee who’s a neonatal nurse. That’s the first time I heard about it and I wasn’t able to ask further as they were on their way to the airport. So I did online research to know more about it. Now I know that a neonatal nurse focuses on taking care of infants. Thanks for this informative article. http://kidzmedical.com/careers/