Dogs are loving companions for half of us

Celeste Barba and Emmanuel Perez

It’s a dog’s world an estimated half of the East student body.

In a random survey of 30 Morton East High school students, 55% of the students said they owned a dog.  For ages, dogs have always been a man’s best friend. In the American Pet Products Association’s 2017-2018 National Pet Owners Survey, it states that 60.2 million households in the U.S. own dogs according to iii.org. There are various reasons why people choose to own dogs, such as lack of affection, needing more security, needing assistance(service dogs), and having an exercise buddy. Thehappypuppysite.com mentions that the most popular breed of dog is the Labrador Retriever, German Shepards/Golden Retrievers follow.

“Only when he’s being annoying, but I do understand why people would want to give up their dog.It’s a lot of work and a lot of money and a lot of time. Sometimes it’s not fair to the animals for them to alone for a long time. I feel guilty about my dog being alone most of the day,” community member Evelyn Castro said.

“I spend A LOT on my dogs. They get special medicine for when they’re sick. I also buy them good food and give them lots of love. My dogs make me feel happy and wheezy,” senior Chris Rodriguez said.

“I look forward to come home to a dog that’s really happy to see me and be with me, it makes me feel pretty good,” Indian Springs High school student Jay Mondragon said.