Morton sees increase in tardies when temperatures decrease

When+students+are+late+they+have+to+go+to+the+tardy+table.++Cynthia+Heredia+%22acts%22+that+job.+
When students are late they have to go to the tardy table.  Cynthia Heredia

When students are late they have to go to the tardy table. Cynthia Heredia "acts" that job.

Graciela Hernandez

Graciela Hernandez

Tardies increase during winter.  During the winter time, students and parents have to wake up earlier to clean their cars and beat the traffic.

According to Dr. Michael Parrie there has been more tardies in the month of December than in November. The climate has become an obstacle to arrive on time to school.  It is estimated that about 75 students arrive to school late, on average.  It has also been estimated that about 90 students arrive late to school in the month of December.  Thursday December 7Snow, 134 students were late to school due to the unexpected snowy morning.  

In a random survey of 40 students from Morton East, 27.5% of students who get a ride from their parents reported that their tardies increase during the winter and 25% said that their tardies do not increase.  Of the students who have to take themselves to school, 17.5% of them reported that their tardies do not increase while 30% say they do increase.  

“I usually arrive late to school because I have to wait to warm up the car so I can come to school.  And, sometimes there’s a lot of unexpected traffic,” senior Alan de la Rosa said.

“I’m normally late to school in winter time because the colder it gets, the lazier I get to walk in the cold.  I just usually wait until my dad can give me a ride,” junior Martin Garcia said.

“I’m late most of the time, like once a week.  Sometimes, I’m equally late in the spring and winter. I find it difficult during the winter.  Even though I’m in the car, there’s a lot of traffic. To be on time I  usually have to leave at 7;30 and it’s usually my parents fault that I’m late,” sophomore Nayareli Gonzalez said.