Students wonder: will this be the strictest year?

At the end of last school year, Class of 2017 seniors surpassed, or exceeded, the acceptable limits on their senior prank — they trashed the interior and exterior of the Morton East campus; now, new policies and rules are in place to prevent such actions in the future.

Some equated the senior prank actions with “rioting.”  Not only did the participants make themselves look bad, but, because of postings on social media and news coverage, the whole school and district looked bad.  So, many seniors believe that the Class of 2017 is responsible for stricter policies and rules.  However, the truth is:  it wasn’t just them.  In a survey conducted by Morton East students, 22% of students admitted to have participated in the senior prank. Although this comes to show 2017 seniors weren’t the only ones to blame, everyone who did participate caused administration to set rules in future reference.

At Morton East High School on Senior Prank Day, a student tossed a lit smoke bomb into a classroom.  Although it was non-explosive, it was alarming to authorities, parents and staff.  No one was injured, but the event provoked administration to take precautions so this wouldn’t happen again in the future. Such as, Seniors of 2018 will not be able to bring their backpacks to finals. Based on this information, a second survey question was asked, in which Morton students answered that 76% of the students blamed the staff rather than themselves for the loss of privileges.

“(Last year’s seniors) over did it because it wasn’t the tradition senior prank. It was just overboard and wasn’t necessary to pull fire alarms and have police there and trash the houses nearby,” graduated student Ramiro Ramirez-Garcia said.

Graduated senior Alejandro Rodriguez believes his class of 2017 shouldn’t be the only one to blame but also the other classes who participated.

“(Students) don’t know when to stop.  It wasn’t even my class towards the end; when the police were outside, I mostly saw students in uniform throwing stuff,” Rodriguez said.

Based on the 2017 seniors response, 2018 seniors and juniors were asked about how they felt based on the prank.

“Juniors  from last year — who are now seniors — (are) those (who)  should be the ones punished, but not the future seniors,” current junior Bryan Marquez said.

2018 senior Pedro Casimiro thinks stricter rules are warranted, deserved.  

“I think it’s right in one part (because) last year property was destroyed. They (kind of went too far) to be honest. We hit the news, but in a negative way.  It’s for security, safety and I agree with (the consequences),” Casimiro said.

Former senior Oscar Corona genuinely agrees that the prank was over done.

“(Last year’s prank) got out of hand;  it was (like) something out of a movie.  I’ve never seen a riot and a food fight on the same day.  (Staff) lost control over the students; they needed to call the cops,” Corona said.

But, another current senior blames last year’s seniors.  

“Because of (Class of 2017) trust was lost in this year’s seniors, and now we suffer the consequences,” Anthony Palomar said.

Others students agree, but they also want a safe school.

“I certainly think it’s a  great thing that the school is taking precautions.  But, I strongly disagree that seniors are obligated to pay for previous students actions.  We did not commit those actions; we did not vandalize our school, so why should we pay? (for the consequences),”senior Litzy Gutierrez Marin said.

One staff who preferred to remain anonymous communicated her thoughts on the scandalous events from last May.

“I think it is entirely fair to take precaution in a situation like this.  Yes, it may seem unfair to some of you,  but it is better to be safe than sorry.  What would’ve happened if someone received serious injuries?  The school can’t afford to have even more dirt on their name.  Plus, a lot of teacher’s cars were affected and that’s just unacceptable.  We definitely can’t ignore this whole thing because it kind of lets future generations feel like it is okay,  and it’s not,” she said. 

One Unity Junior High School teacher was reached out to, who is still close to many of the students from her graduating class of 2014,  was shocked.

“I believe the new restrictions and strict rules are reasonable due to the senior prank last year, The school was absolutely TRASHED. Eggs, spray paint, everything. What a way to keep it classy, Morton. We were embarrassed,  ashamed and disheartened,” Kate Nichols said.

The principal agrees.

“We had to take precautions because senior pranks for the past two years have been out of control,” Mr. Jose Gamboa said.

One graduate thinks that consequences are necessary to stop the cycle of “stupidity.”

“Each year, I feel like graduating class just gets stupider and stupider; obviously they are going to change some rules when students don’t know how to act.  (Seniors) deserve all the consequences coming their way,” graduate Giselle Zamora said.  

Even those who participated in the senior prank wish they can take back what they did.

“I wish I never participated in it, I feel like things got way out of control and we don’t deserve all these extra rules, like no book bags to finals? How am I supposed to carry my (stuff) home, in a bag made of air?  It’s ridiculous, but I can’t blame them.  We lost their trust,” an anonymous student said. 

Some students believe that not being able to pick our gym teachers this year was a consequence from the senior prank, however, that is absolutely not true.

“When you were able to choose your own activites, too much time was taken aside from counselors to figure out everyone’s schedule in the beginning of the year. You guys just sitting around doing nothing the first week of school,” principal Mr. Jose Gamboa said.

16 Responses to “Students wonder: will this be the strictest year?”

1. Jennifer on November 10th, 2017 10:04 am

After some changes our story came out great 😎

2. Rondo on November 10th, 2017 12:36 pm

:O

3. Kacie Kilcoyne on November 10th, 2017 1:13 pm

I love it !

4. Schwooped on November 10th, 2017 7:19 pm

I understand the school’s attempt to avoid what happened last year. It was embarrassing to see Morton East on the news for something so childish. Those who participated made us look like a zoo. But it’s hard to enforce policies and rules on students who weren’t involved, it’s practically unfair.

5. Don't worry about it on November 10th, 2017 9:45 pm

Nice article

6. Graciela on November 10th, 2017 9:51 pm

This article provided very good information, worth the read.

7. Jr on November 10th, 2017 11:34 pm

Excellent article!

8. Rose on November 11th, 2017 12:02 am

I personally feel like this report is great. It truly called attention to the issue and it gave a diverse insight in perspectives. Great job!

9. Vivían on November 11th, 2017 12:22 am

Students did act as savages, therefore there should be a stricter policy on them.

10. Christian Aritzmendi on November 20th, 2017 2:35 pm

Fantastic article!

11. Izaiah Contreras on November 21st, 2017 9:39 am

what a wonderful article. Very well written, I love how you close the story. Amen. 🙂

12. Omar Zamora on November 21st, 2017 9:46 am

Me da mucho orgullo de leer tu articulo mija. Esta muy interesante saludos desde Mexico (:

13. Britney on November 21st, 2017 9:49 am

So proud of how this article turned out ❤️

14. Christina on November 21st, 2017 9:51 am

Such a well written article, wonderful!

15. Juan Zarco on November 30th, 2017 9:22 am

I feel really informed by this article because all I heard before reading this article was that they had just pulled a really bad senior prank. What I didn’t know was that the seniors had thrown eggs, spray paint, and PULLED FIRE ALARMS! I’m just amazed by what this generation of seniors was capable to do. Although by implementing even more strict rules it can lead to 2 ways in which one will bring benefits and the other will not. The current seniors might be understanding with the new rules and be excellent students to attend all their senior rewards. On the other hand they might retaliate to these rules in way to show that if these rules are not removed they will keep on retaliating. If it does happen only more consequences will come and even worse ones that we wouldn’t imagine.

16. Maria R on November 30th, 2017 9:20 pm

Nice article girls, looking forward to reading your upcoming stories!