Memories of Freshman Year: Remembering those we lost in 2016

Esmeralda Villa, Reporter

Our freshman year, as every year had some notable deaths. Here are some of the many figures that have passed away but numerous can still look back on.

David Bowie, an ethereal musician who broke pop and rock boundaries with his creative musicianship. Age of 69 after an 18-month long battle with cancer, died on jan.14.

Prince, 57, one of the most original and influential musicians of modern times. Sold tens of millions of albums worldwide in a career that spanned more than four decades, died on April 21 of an accidental drug overdose.

Muhammad Ali, age 74, “The Greatest of All Time” was a three-time world heavyweight boxing champion and civil rights champion who suffered a decades-long battle with Parkinson’s disease. Who then died of a septic shock on June 3.

Juan Gabriel, age 66. One of Mexico’s most successful vocalists and composers, a six-time Grammy nominee. He was credited with writing more than 1,800 songs, including “Hasta que te conoci” and “Querida.” Sadly the cause of death was a heart attack on August 28.

Alan Rickman, age 69. The British actor was most likely best remembered for his role as Severus Snape in the “Harry Potter” films. Rickman appeared in each movie of the film franchise, which Forbes says generated about $10 billion from 2001 to 2011, died on Jan 14.