Career Profile: So you want to be a Dentist?

Natalia Zambrano, writer

Dentist maintain and improve the appearance and health of out teeth. They are responsible for many of the beautiful smiles in the world. some tasks that dentist do are fill cavities and do basic operations such as removing teeth, replace or rebuild broken teeth with implants, and examine teeth and gums visually as well as using x-rays to find tooth decay and gum disease. There’s a couple of dentist in Cicero like Dental Dreams on Cicero Rd the other one is called Silva Dental Center on Cermark Rd. Anyone can do this career if the person likes to work with their hands for large amounts of the time as well having to do a lot of deep thinking. Becoming a dentist takes about 4 years in college, if you want to get a higher degree in dentistry and additional 2+ years will be needed. Becoming a dentist takes good communication skills, ability to calm people in case of panic and have a lot of patience. Some colleges that offer a dentist program are UIC of Dentistry in Chicago, IL and Saint Xavier also in Chicago, IL. Dentist make about $36.74 hourly and yearly they make between $70k- $200k. Becoming a dentist can begin right after high school, and anyone who’s fascinated with teeth and helping people keeping them clean and healthy are good for the job.
_

Isabella Terrassa a fellow dentist gave her point of view of whats it like being a dentist.

Q: What would you say you’re the most proud of in your practice?

A: This legacy and to provide high-quality dental care to all of my patients as well as my team.

Q: What do you enjoy doing?

A: I truly enjoy helping my patients and seeing them.

Q: Do you recommend people to become a patient?

A: Yes, and that’s because this profession is truly interesting, you get to see peoples teeth and that always fascinated me, the way people took care of their teeth is truly mesmerizing. Most people don’t like going to the dentist because they’re afraid of fill ins or having any teeth removed but its really nothing to fear if you take care of your teeth.

Q: How long have you been a dentist?

A: I have been a dentist in Chicago since 2012.

Q: Where did you study for dentistry?

A: I studied at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, there I learned how to treat medical complex patients, performing aesthetic procedures, and handling dental emergencies.

Q: How long did it take you to get experienced in this career?

A: It took me four years but it was worth it.

1 Comment

One Response to “Career Profile: So you want to be a Dentist?”

1. Valeria Nevarez on May 7th, 2018 8:38 am

Becoming a dentist seems pretty easy if you’re into the job. I love how it only takes 4 years of college and the pay is really good. I think I’ll consider and look more into becoming a dentist. This really helped me out on what it’s like.