Morton Students miss haunted houses

Dannia Olivares, Reporter

About Half of Morton East students are missing haunted houses right now.

According to the Chicago Tribune, In what would seem to be a high demand through the heart of haunted houses open for the Halloween season, The Illinois Department of Public Health statement stated on Wednesday said those businesses were not allowed to operate this year but yet many businesses still are remaining open. A spokesperson for Thirteenth Floor said that the company needed time to look at the latest Illinois information. Despite being told that in Illinois CDC were not permitting haunted houses have decided to ignore but also follow safety concerns during this time even if they’re going to remain open. Also stating that “They are doing everything they’re supposed to do”. The popular Thirteenth floor is following co-vid precautions with regular cleaning and disinfecting with have many nights already sold out. In a random survey of fifty Morton East students, fifty percent of students claimed they have been to a haunted house before and have enjoyed it. Meanwhile, the other fifty percent have not been to a haunted house before.

When interviewing Morton East staff and students about their experiences at haunted houses they had this to say:

“The anticipation waiting in line was actually scarier than the haunted house itself. The lobby was creepy. Mr. Frankfother screamed a few times, though! When it was completely dark, we were all nervous, even though we knew they were going to jump at us. There were all of these different rooms. The flashing lights were dangerous for some in our group. They had to stay back. We did really enjoy it.” Said Mrs. Judge when asked about how the anticipation was at her time at the thirteenth floors.

“We laughed a lot. It was hysterical to see (and hear) everyone screaming when everyone knew people were going to try to scares. It would be great to do something like that again, but with Covid- we can’t.” While also stating the best moments from that day.

“My favorite part was the picture we took at the end. We were broken up into smaller groups. I actually had a foster child at the time, but he was separated from my group. After we got out of the haunted house- all alive- they took a picture of each group. It’s a great memory,” said Mrs. Judge when asked about her favorite memory.

The excitement of going to a haunted house and never knowing what to expect.

“I went in a group and we were in a line of four and since we have never been before we didn’t know there was anything so we just screamed at many people that would appear out of nowhere, it was a very fun and exciting day sadly they never reopened again since then,” said Nicole Villa about her experience at the Town of Cicero Haunted house.

While others may feel like haunted houses are over-expensive for just a one-time experience.

“I really didn’t enjoy my experience waited over an hour in line just to finally enter for at most seven to ten-minute experience,”  said Jesus Roman.

“I’ve been to haunted houses before and enjoyed experiences at them just not recently due to Co-vid and the high amount of cases there are still going on in the world,” said Briana Bokmengo.