Cruising the state: the weirdest museums in Illinois

supermanmuseum.com/gallery

supermanmuseum.com/gallery

Celeste Barba, Reporter

So, spring and summer break are approaching, and you don’t have much more than gas money to travel.  Time to check out what Illinois has to offer.  Illinois has more exciting museums — other than the popular Field Museum, the Museum of Science & Industry, and the Shedd Aquarium.

The American Toby Jug Museum is in Evanston, Illinois and opened in 1995. This museum features over 2,000 Toby jugs, some of which date back to the mid 18th century. A Toby jug is a ceramic mug made in the form of a popular character. Admission to the American Toby Jug Museum is free and open all year long from Wednesday to Saturday.

The American Toby Jug Museum may have 2,000 toby jugs , but the Superman Museum has 10 times as much Superman memorabilia.

The Super Museum in Metropolis, Illinois opened in 1993. The museum features over 20,000 Superman comics, toys, shirts, etc. Admission is only $5 and children under 5 years old are free.

Superman isn’t the only popular figure that received an entire museum dedicated to them.

The Spinach Can Collectibles Museum is an entire museum dedicated to Popeye the Sailor. This museum opened in 1994 and is in Chester, Illinois. The creator of Popeye was once employed there, along with real life versions of Olive Oyl and Popeye. Admission is free and all visitors will receive a mini history about the museum.

Gems and minerals can be just as exciting as t.v. and comic book characters.

The Funk Prairie Home Gem & Mineral Museum is located in Shirley, Illinois. The Funk Prairie Home Museum opened in in 1975 and as minerals and gems were collected, a separate exhibit was created called the Funk Prairie Home & Gem Museum. The Museum is educational and free.

19 Responses to “Cruising the state: the weirdest museums in Illinois”

1. Jazlin on April 16th, 2018 8:45 am

Great article Celeste! Way to get people outside of our small town. 👍

[Reply]

2. Perla on May 7th, 2018 8:23 am

Great way to tell the people there’s more out there to explore around for cheap😊

[Reply]

3. Alvaro on May 7th, 2018 8:30 am

I think it’s cool how the writers give ideas of where to go if your bored this summer and they also mentioned good spots. The article was very well done and a good idea to get people out of the town

[Reply]

4. Perla on May 7th, 2018 8:31 am

Great way to tell people there’s more out there to explore. This article helps for the people who are tired of being bored and explore for cheap. This summer I am planning probably to go to one of this museums!

[Reply]

5. Maximus Comas on May 7th, 2018 9:41 am

Those museums sound awesome and each of those are based on different t.v icons different. Paying to get in those places are inexpensive and look fun to visit. Now I know where to visit if I get bored during the summer and if I need a summer job.

[Reply]

6. Fernanda Rosel on May 7th, 2018 9:51 am

I find this very intresting since we are so use to going to the same places over and over . It is great to explore other places in illinois and get out of our comfort zone and visit a museum like this i had never even heard about !!!

[Reply]

7. Alexis Ayala on May 7th, 2018 10:34 am

I think I might have to check these out. They sound very fascinating. Especially Popeye the Sailor’s museum. Growing up I watched Popeye, loved the show. I’m not really into Superman or superheroes in general, but it would be a cool experience to go and check it out. Never heard of “toby jugs,” but for sure it would be cool to check it out. I’m still pretty sure the Field Museum, Science & Industry, & the Planetarium would still top both of them.

[Reply]

8. Alexander Raldiris on May 7th, 2018 10:42 am

These museums sound like fun. The Superman museum sounds really cool. I’ve never heard of museums for 1 superhero. They must have superman comics, toys, posters, kitchen ware, and everything else. I like how the price is low and I can go. I also like the Spinach Can Collectible museum. Never heard of many museums about Popeye. The American Toby Jug museum seems really nice to. But my least favorite is the Funk Home Prairie Home Gem & Mineral museum cause I’m not really interested in Geology. The only problem would be the distance that all these are. Since they are almost 5 hours away.

[Reply]

9. Emilie Ramos on May 7th, 2018 10:47 am

I think that it’s nice to know that there are many different places to visit here in Illinois. Many people don’t really have the money to go out of state or maybe people just want to visit new places that they’ve probably never seen before. These museums seem to be very family friendly and seems like many children will be able to enjoy it as well. It would be fun to go to one if not all of these places just to get out for a little while. I think that I would definitely want to go to one of these museums with a few friends. Besides all of that, great article.

[Reply]

10. Juan Martinez on May 7th, 2018 11:46 am

The museum is a great way to spend a day at. The museum is affordable and could be free for your siblings if they’re under the age of 5. Going to this museums can be lots of fun if you are a superhero fan. I would like to visit this museum because it’s affordable and I have never been there.

[Reply]

11. Johnny Barrios on May 7th, 2018 11:50 am

It’s wonderful to see that Illinois has many opportunities for entertainment. Furthermore, I love how there is no need in wasting money, gas or even going to a far location just to have fun. The is very close museums that are free here in Illinois. Next, its wonderful to see many different type of entertainment. There is nothing mad with facts or learning/history museums but like its great to see a place that has a unic theme.

[Reply]

12. Griselda Perez on May 7th, 2018 11:57 am

This article provides some great ideas for teens to spend their spring and summer vacations. Instead of staying at home all doing using their phones or watching TV all day. Although it’s also helpful for students who need to find some research on museums. What I found interesting in the article was when the author mentioned that there are some artifacts that date back to the 18th century. Also when they included that the jars were shaped into different cartoon characters.

[Reply]

13. Pablo Ceballos on May 7th, 2018 12:06 pm

I was amazed to find out about a new museum in Illinois. I wasn’t aware of this awesome place Illinois has to offer to the people. With the summer break coming up it is something to consider visiting or reading about. With the toys it contains it must be a place with lots of people.

[Reply]

14. Juan Escobedo on May 7th, 2018 12:08 pm

I believe the supermuseum is a great and fun opportunity for kids. The same old museums that people keep going to in downtown Chicago is getting pretty boring right about now, learning and watching the same stuff every year. I think it is time to get out of our comfort zone and explore more. The supermuseum will definitely be something ill like to visit this summer break since I really enjoy watching superman. I will feel like a kid all over again.

[Reply]

15. Brenda Zuloaga on May 7th, 2018 2:19 pm

“Illinois has more exciting museums — other than the popular Field Museum, the Museum of Science & Industry, and the Shedd Aquarium.”

I connected this to another famous museum in Chicago called The National Museum of Mexican Art.

This museum has a lot of art from classic and well known Mexican artists. Even though the museum isn’t as popular as the others in Chicago, it gives a great taste of Mexico and it’s culture.

[Reply]

16. Naa Ashifia Anum on May 7th, 2018 2:21 pm

This is an amazing discovery and an interesting thing is that they are all located in Illinois which is easy to locate or get access to. Besides these museums are both fun and educational just by the looks of it form this article. I personally didn’t know that these museums existed and since I have heard about it from this article, I think that I might visit it when I get the opportunity to do so. Thanks for the insight Celeste!

[Reply]

17. Estephanie B. on May 7th, 2018 2:22 pm

After reading this article I feel curious. I never knew we had such odd museums here in Illinois. After reading about some of them I am interested in seeing some of them but I am most interested in seeing the Spinach Can Collectibles Museum. As a lover of old cartoons I would be very pleased in seeing what variety of Popeye items this museum has to offer. Maybe one day I will go there myself!

[Reply]

18. Jesus on May 7th, 2018 2:25 pm

Whoa I never would have thought to look around for museum’s. Some of these museums oddly specific that I never would’ve thought about it being here. The superman one in particular seems really cool and I would definitely visit since its focused on something I could understand. I also like the detail about the creator of Popeye, it’s pretty funny and it really added to the personality of the museum.

[Reply]

19. Zuleyma Razo on May 9th, 2018 10:23 am

This is such a great and helpful article because it provides fun places to which people with not that much money can travel to. Also, it was great that more than just on type of place was listed in the article. For instance, listed in the article was a superman museum, rock museum, science museum and Toby jug museum. Thanks to this article I’ve got a few new places in mind to visit over my summer just like any other student who read this article.

[Reply]