Cruising the state: the weirdest museums in Illinois

supermanmuseum.com/gallery

supermanmuseum.com/gallery

Celeste Barba, Reporter

So, spring and summer break are approaching, and you don’t have much more than gas money to travel.  Time to check out what Illinois has to offer.  Illinois has more exciting museums — other than the popular Field Museum, the Museum of Science & Industry, and the Shedd Aquarium.

The American Toby Jug Museum is in Evanston, Illinois and opened in 1995. This museum features over 2,000 Toby jugs, some of which date back to the mid 18th century. A Toby jug is a ceramic mug made in the form of a popular character. Admission to the American Toby Jug Museum is free and open all year long from Wednesday to Saturday.

The American Toby Jug Museum may have 2,000 toby jugs , but the Superman Museum has 10 times as much Superman memorabilia.

The Super Museum in Metropolis, Illinois opened in 1993. The museum features over 20,000 Superman comics, toys, shirts, etc. Admission is only $5 and children under 5 years old are free.

Superman isn’t the only popular figure that received an entire museum dedicated to them.

The Spinach Can Collectibles Museum is an entire museum dedicated to Popeye the Sailor. This museum opened in 1994 and is in Chester, Illinois. The creator of Popeye was once employed there, along with real life versions of Olive Oyl and Popeye. Admission is free and all visitors will receive a mini history about the museum.

Gems and minerals can be just as exciting as t.v. and comic book characters.

The Funk Prairie Home Gem & Mineral Museum is located in Shirley, Illinois. The Funk Prairie Home Museum opened in in 1975 and as minerals and gems were collected, a separate exhibit was created called the Funk Prairie Home & Gem Museum. The Museum is educational and free.

1 Comment

One Response to “Cruising the state: the weirdest museums in Illinois”

1. Jazlin on April 16th, 2018 8:45 am

Great article Celeste! Way to get people outside of our small town. 👍

[Reply]