Prom fashion show lights up evening for first time

Back to Article
Back to Article

There was a mandatory informational meeting for the seniors who are going to participate in the prom fashion show.

Erika Quezada

Erika Quezada

Erika Quezada

Erika Quezada, Reporter

For the first time ever, this year’s prom fashion show will be something completely different. It is not going to be held at the spring sports assembly during school hours; it’s going to be held in the evening on April 25 at 6:30 pm in Chodl auditorium.

Every year, the current junior class clubs hosts the prom fashion show during the spring sports assembly. They choose dresses and tuxedos from Julie’s Boutique and Black Tie Formalwear for the participants who are going to model for the prom fashion show to show students and teachers new trends in dresses and tuxedos. Only seniors can be given the opportunity to participate in the prom fashion show, but they have to meet a few requirements: they must be a senior, have good grades and attendance, be on track to graduate and are planning to go to prom. They will do an elimination process to fit the guys in their tuxedos and girls in their dresses and choose the top 10 guys and top 10 girls to participate and model in the prom fashion show. This year the Class of 2019 advisors Ms. Miller and Ms. Samata are going to run this year’s fashion show. There is also another event going on in school which is the Mr. Morton contest in which only the senior boys can participate in; it is intertwined into the middle of it and the girls and guys are going to be modeling in transition with Mr. Morton. However, this year’s prom fashion show is not going to be held during the spring sports assembly, it is going to be held in the evening on April 25th at 6:30 pm in the auditorium. One of the advisors explains about this big change.

“The reason why the prom fashion show won’t be during the spring sports assembly is because there are no more half days for the rest of the school year which means they won’t be hosting the assembly this year; it will be held on April 25th at 6:30 pm in the auditorium and tickets will cost $1 for students and adults that are going to watch the fashion show. We will also be doing a raffle for the seniors for them to have a chance to win a free tuxedo or dress,” junior math teacher Courtney Miller said.

Surprisingly, one fashion show participant doesn’t mind about this big change.

“Only for the fact that it’s sorta of been a tradition to have the prom fashion show during the spring sports assembly. It’s going to be very different to have it during the evening since it’s never been done before but I still think no matter where they change it, it’s still going to be enjoyable for people to watch,” senior student Priscilla Sanchez said.

Another fashion show participant also thinks that this big change doesn’t matter a lot.

“I understand that sports should get their own recognition since I am involved in sports but I think it’s very exciting I hope students still come out and support their friends or just in general to come show some pride and have fun. I’m looking forward to it,” senior student Christina Villa said.

However, this fashion show participant doesn’t like this big change.

“I feel like it should be part of the assembly because the fashion show is more towards the seniors and gives them information of where they can get their dresses and tuxedos or give them ideas for prom,” senior student Jacqueline Torres said.

15 Responses to “Prom fashion show lights up evening for first time”

1. Andrea Bautista on May 7th, 2018 8:23 am

I saw the fashion show and I think it was great everyone looked amazing.For my part I didn’t really mind that they didnt have it in the sports assembly because at least they still have it. I also think that it’s great that all the seniors that wanted to be involved had to be on track

2. Guadalupe Diaz on May 7th, 2018 8:25 am

I think it was a good way to change up the prom fashion show for the year of 2019. Having it during the day only gets students out of class, and to be real here not all students pay attention to the actual performance happening. Therefore, it being help in the auditorium gives students the option to go or not, and if so they pay their entrance to a good prom fashion show. Although having a bigger audience to watch the actual show is way better, having people who actually are interested in it is always better.

3. Leonardo Buitimea on May 7th, 2018 8:29 am

This is cool. The fashion show is a very entertaining and fun event. I’ll make sure to go and have some fun.

4. Perla on May 7th, 2018 8:29 am

Great article let’s me know what’s the prespective of others about the fashion show. Would really like to participe for the next two years after this article. I would like to have more info about the fashion show and what the senior students think of it. Great work!

5. Ruth Garcia on May 7th, 2018 8:45 am

I really enjoyed the prom fashion show during my supervisory period and I myself plan on maybe being part of it once I’m a senior. I really like the dresses that were modeled and also the choice of music they choose to play during the show. Hopefully by the time I am a senior I will be able to participate in it ! Congrats to all the seniors who are graduating this year! 🙂

6. Maximus Comas on May 7th, 2018 9:32 am

I think the prom fashion show should have there own time to do their own thing. Personally I think the evening show would be perfect for them because they have thew whole time for themselves rather than share the short time with the sports programs. Sports also can get their recognition too sense they don’t have to share what little time they have with the other stuff. So good on them organizing their own time to show off the new trends.

7. Alexis Arreguin on May 7th, 2018 10:41 am

I enjoy morton giving spirit and recognition to the seniors by showing off a prom fashion show. It shows us lower class students what there is to expect once we’re on our year of graduating. I as well enjoy seeing my senior friends up there with big smiles on their face to be graduating and going to prom in an outfit that suits them. Aside from that, I definitely agree with the certain choices made this year; With giving recognition in separate events to shine on what there is to see which puts aside of course our sports and our seniors. Thank you morton for our special traditions.

8. Selena Torres on May 7th, 2018 10:53 am

I don’t think that making the fashion show outside of school is a good idea since not a lot of people have time after school. Which is why they did a small recognition of sports people during supervision this year and they also did the fashion show.I think that if they do it after school they should also put information and pictures on where the attire is from.

9. Griselda Perez on May 7th, 2018 11:49 am

I think the Prom fashion show should be displayed separately from the spring sports assembly. Mainly, it shows how the student body should acknowledge the departing seniors by the their own. And not dump them in, in another assembly just because. Overall both assemblies are a great way to encourage students to take part in their school and to congratulate them for setting a good example in taking pride in their school. The fashion show can also be a fun way for students and others to contribute to the school.

10. Claudia Gonzalez on May 7th, 2018 12:18 pm

I personally believe that the seniors fashion show is a great idea because it plays a important role in most students senior year. This show provides ideas for all seniors and it is also some fun even in which the seniors show their different styles and personalities. It is also interesting to see the new trends for this year. It also promotes school pride which is always good to show. So good luck to all seniors who are graduating this year and I bet you will all look really pretty at prom.

11. Zuleyma Razo on May 7th, 2018 12:24 pm

Personally, I don’t think the change in location of the prom fashion show is all that important. Although, the location of the prom fashion show has changed that will not obscure the fact that students, families, and faculty will come to the school in order to support the participating seniors. Plus, it seems fitting that the fashion show and spring assembly have their own separate days as they are different occasions. Also, the change in location of the prom fashion show was merely an unfortunate lack of half days so a hand must be given to the organizers of the fashion show all together because instead of cancelling it they readjusted and held it on another day.

12. Gabriela Huerta on May 7th, 2018 2:07 pm

I’m actually in favor for the Senior Fashion Show being moved to after school hours instead of occurring on half days. This allows for more learning time and/or time to fix grades in class. Not only that, but moving the event gives parents and friends the opportunity to attend and watch along side the Morton students. Although the Morton tradition was broken this year, it doesn’t add a negative impact to the event. As a current student, I enjoy watching the show and be willing to go my remaining years at this school.

13. Bernardo Luviano on May 7th, 2018 2:28 pm

Honestly, I was quite fond of this article and the way it addressed a change in the fashion show that is probably incredibly crucial for seniors to be aware of. As a sophomore, this information is not very crucial for me to be aware of, but i’m glad to know that there are article such as these that will provide me with the information necessary for such events once I reach that grade level. Like many of these articles on the Morton Pony Express, the personal accounts of other students in this building discussing how they felt about this moderate change was a very crucial addition to this piece because it allowed me to get a sense of relatedness with the rest of the school. I didn’t just feel like this was an issue that a single individual was focused on, but rather felt that it was something a lot of people were focused on, and that I should be aware of.

14. Lizbeth Ruiz on May 8th, 2018 10:46 am

I do not agree with the change of the prom fashion show because as Jacqueline Torres said the show is for seniors and should be shown during school hours because majority of the senior class will be at school and able to watch the show and get ideas on what to wear and what they might want to wear. What is an issue about having the fashion show afterschool is that it wasn’t given much attention. In other words, the information wasn’t spread to all seniors before the day of the show so that they could have time to consider going because most seniors have jobs or other responsiblities. Though what i don’t understand about the article is that wasn’t the fashion show done during supervision? Either way i just believe their should be posters or announcements acknowledging the show a week or more before. What i do like about the show is that they are raffling off one of the styles which i did enjoying viewing.

15. Student Reporter on May 9th, 2018 9:37 pm

Thank you for your thoughts about the prom fashion show; but to answer your question about the article being published and it didn’t mention the fashion show being done during supervisory; what I want to tell you was when I interviewed the Class of 2019 advisor Ms. Miller she told me that the fashion show was originally going to be after school on April 25 at 6:30 pm in Chodl auditorium and the article was published on March 30; and then my friend who participated in the fashion show told me a couple days before the prom fashion show that they decided to change it and have it during supervision periods on April 27. To make myself clear this article was published before they made a big change to the new date and had it during supervision hours. 🙂