Prom fashion show lights up evening for first time

There was a mandatory informational meeting for the seniors who are going to participate in the prom fashion show.

Erika Quezada

Erika Quezada

Erika Quezada, Reporter

For the first time ever, this year’s prom fashion show will be something completely different. It is not going to be held at the spring sports assembly during school hours; it’s going to be held in the evening on April 25 at 6:30 pm in Chodl auditorium.

Every year, the current junior class clubs hosts the prom fashion show during the spring sports assembly. They choose dresses and tuxedos from Julie’s Boutique and Black Tie Formalwear for the participants who are going to model for the prom fashion show to show students and teachers new trends in dresses and tuxedos. Only seniors can be given the opportunity to participate in the prom fashion show, but they have to meet a few requirements: they must be a senior, have good grades and attendance, be on track to graduate and are planning to go to prom. They will do an elimination process to fit the guys in their tuxedos and girls in their dresses and choose the top 10 guys and top 10 girls to participate and model in the prom fashion show. This year the Class of 2019 advisors Ms. Miller and Ms. Samata are going to run this year’s fashion show. There is also another event going on in school which is the Mr. Morton contest in which only the senior boys can participate in; it is intertwined into the middle of it and the girls and guys are going to be modeling in transition with Mr. Morton. However, this year’s prom fashion show is not going to be held during the spring sports assembly, it is going to be held in the evening on April 25th at 6:30 pm in the auditorium. One of the advisors explains about this big change.

“The reason why the prom fashion show won’t be during the spring sports assembly is because there are no more half days for the rest of the school year which means they won’t be hosting the assembly this year; it will be held on April 25th at 6:30 pm in the auditorium and tickets will cost $1 for students and adults that are going to watch the fashion show. We will also be doing a raffle for the seniors for them to have a chance to win a free tuxedo or dress,” junior math teacher Courtney Miller said.

Surprisingly, one fashion show participant doesn’t mind about this big change.

“Only for the fact that it’s sorta of been a tradition to have the prom fashion show during the spring sports assembly. It’s going to be very different to have it during the evening since it’s never been done before but I still think no matter where they change it, it’s still going to be enjoyable for people to watch,” senior student Priscilla Sanchez said.

Another fashion show participant also thinks that this big change doesn’t matter a lot.

“I understand that sports should get their own recognition since I am involved in sports but I think it’s very exciting I hope students still come out and support their friends or just in general to come show some pride and have fun. I’m looking forward to it,” senior student Christina Villa said.

However, this fashion show participant doesn’t like this big change.

“I feel like it should be part of the assembly because the fashion show is more towards the seniors and gives them information of where they can get their dresses and tuxedos or give them ideas for prom,” senior student Jacqueline Torres said.