Berwyn gets shot in TV spotlight via “Empire”

Braulio Vargas, reporter

The famous Fox show “Empire,” came to Berwyn, Illinois to film an episode; it aired November 8.

The assistant city administrator Ruth Volbre said that the company spent about $30,000 on the chamber renovations to make it look like a classic courtroom for shooting the episode. Over a hundred people from the company will be coming to shoot the episode. I surveyed students of Morton East High School and ninety one percent of the students surveyed said that it is a wonderful experience for Berwyn.

“I feel that it’s a wonderful thing to have Berwyn being the environment and location for an episode on a well-known show. Hopefully, this could get more people to come see what Berwyn has to offer after seeing the episode,” senior Hector Salgado said.

“I feel it’s going to be a great experience because it’s an episode for a popular show, if people are watching that show then I’m sure they will love the episode,” senior Juan Delgado said.

“It’s amazing to see television production coming to a small town to do the show in Berwyn,” junior Julio Medina said.

It usually takes a week to produce/film a episode for a show and it takes two weeks for pre-production (editing the episode). Also, television production companies spend anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000 for equipment.