Is Morton East High School really haunted?

According to sources, spirits do haunt Morton East.  Former theater teacher George Drew reportedly haunts East’s Chodl Auditorium.

George Drew was found at home dead and missed opening night of the West Side Story which he had directed.   According to a writer at www.strangeus.com “George Drew was a great guy and very popular among all students… I am not surprised that Mr. Drew would still be hanging around making sure everything goes smoothly for the student’s productions. To tell you the truth, I would not mind running into him again someday. He was that kind of guy!”  In 1970 a man died working backstage on the rail line, there was also a rumor saying that a student committed suicide during a performance of “Romeo and Juliet” in the auditorium.

Courtesy Ms. Jenicek
Can you see the face?
This was an actual picture taken by security of suspected spirit.
At Morton East 3rd floor near classroom 330.

“I definitely believe there’s a ghost in here,” Mr. Kearny (current theater teacher at Morton east) said.

According to Kearny, he hears things moving around, hears sounds in the auditorium. He is yet to see something, but he does believe there’s a supernatural entity in the building. Some people think there’s a difference between supernatural beings – namely ghosts versus spirits.

According to Tabares, she looks at sprits and ghost in a different way. She thinks ghosts are there without invitation, there to scare us away.

“I definitely do believe in spirits, I think spirits are the ones we invite in,” Mrs. Tabares (Current AP Computer Science teacher at Morton east) said.

“I think spirits are there for a reason – to teach us something.  It’s not ghost that I believe. It’s the spirits that concern me the most,” senior Braulio Vargas said.

According to Ludivina, she absolutely believes in spirits because she’s been close to some before. It was abnormal – (unusual or out of the ordinary) that she hears things and seen things happen with her eyes!  TV’s and things in the kitchen is not an usual thing that happens all the time. The fact that the area where her mom’s house used to be a cemetery explains why she heard and seen things, the spirits are there.

“I do believe in spirits, I’ve heard things move in the kitchen before and seen the TV turn off or on. Before my mom’s house was built it used to be a cemetery,” Ludivina De La Cruz said.

According to Mari, she believes in spirits and is afraid to sleep with the lights off because she thinks the spirits come out more in the dark. Being awake alone in the dark seems to be the time when the spirits can be more freely & do what they want instead of the day when there’s people walking and talking.

“Hell, yeah, I believe in spirits, to this day I’m afraid to sleep without the lights on; I usually hear things move like chairs when the lights are off and I’m the only one awake,” sophomore Mari Frutis said.

“I haven’t been face to face with one, I’ve never heard of seen anything strange; but the stories I’ve heard from people make me believe that there is spirits,” college student Eddie Hernandez said.

According to Eddie he hasn’t seen or heard anything but yet he still believes in spirits from other people’s stories with them being face to face with one or heard things. Sometimes people don’t have to see or hear it to believe it, people like Eddie that hear other stories and already believe what they are told.

Staff at Morton East High School have had paranormal experiences. Angie who is a current security guard at Morton had experience strange things happen on the 3rd floor near room 300.

“After a play a student took a picture and you are able see a lot of faces in the picture, I’ve always had that creepy feeling,” Angie said.

Angie knows and feels that creepy feeling every time she’d walk the 3rd floor. She even has proof on her phone about the spirits that are present. (See side photo)

“Back in 1966-1967 they were going to start a play called “West Side Story” but George Drew’s had died that morning. People say at night the curtains will move, and the vents are haunted, a student from 1977 was just here and she is a median, she said she’d feel spirits as soon as she comes in,” Ms. Mary Ellen Jenicek said.

42 Responses to “Is Morton East High School really haunted?”

1. Aaron on November 21st, 2017 11:42 am

This is a scary story to think about

Student Reporter Reply:

hell yeah

2. Melina on November 27th, 2017 11:40 am

Actually I heard that the tearcher stays in the room above the auditorium and that they did do a production of west side story again like not so long ago like 4 years ago and bed broke the and a prop fell from the ceiling and almost hit someone.

Student Reporter Reply:

That’s crazy I didn’t know that

3. Samantha Diaz on November 27th, 2017 11:47 am

I think every school has that myth and story linked to their history to come off as haunted.

Student Reporter Reply:

True

4. Tania Venegas on November 27th, 2017 11:50 am

I have heard many stories of spirits going around but i try not to believe in it, its just scary specially because i spend alot of time home alone. How ever if the person i love comes back I would be more than glad to see them.

Student Reporter Reply:

you right

5. Andrea Bautista on November 28th, 2017 8:53 am

I try not to think about it to much even though some staff do say that they could see and hear stuff after school.

6. Perla on November 28th, 2017 8:58 am

Enjoy the fact how there’s a lot of stories being told about Morton being hunted, but since i’ve Never knew nothing about this school being hunted besides my elementary school overall learned a lot about this school’s history.

7. Perla on November 28th, 2017 8:59 am

Haunted **

8. Miguel on November 28th, 2017 8:59 am

Even before I started my sophomore year, I’ve heard people saying that ghosts do haunt Morton, specially in the auditorium. My brother has also told me that there is ghosts and that he’s heard people saying there’s ghosts. I actually haven’t seen one or anything that proves there’s any type of paranormal activity, but I think there probably is some ghosts. I do think, though, that sometimes students can make things like these up to scare other students.

9. Abigail Villasana on November 28th, 2017 8:59 am

I think that the possibility of ghosts and spirits existing is quite exciting. However, think that we should still be cautious. I’ve heard somewhere that spirits and ghosts have a certain vibe that they give off, whether that be warm or cold. So though I love the idea of an afterlife existing, I still wouldn’t want to be in the way of another’s.

10. Uriel Sotelo on November 28th, 2017 9:01 am

Well i suppose any school thats been around for about 100 years is bound to have some type of death happen in it. I never heard of any of these cases of death, but the prospect of the Chodl Auditorium being haunted is actually quite interesting. It’d be quite surprising to see any paranormal activity happen in front of me.

11. Alondra Aguilar on November 28th, 2017 9:56 am

I have never hear about these happenings in the school until today. I’ve had many paranormal experiences myself but there was only one that happened in the school. It was this year when SHARK club had their movie night starring the movie “Mama”. There seemed to be someone sitting down in the very first row to the left of the middle row watching the movie but I didn’t make much of it. Until they turned on the lights and here was no one there and more but you could perfectly see the outline of someone sitting there.

12. Aurora on November 28th, 2017 10:02 am

I have heard many stories going around the school saying that it’s haunted. I don’t really believe in paranormal stuff. I think i would have to be able to see the ghost or whatever it is in order to believe. I guess that’s one of the wonders of life. Overall I really enjoyed this article even though I don’t believe in them. I really liked how the writer showed the many opinions that students and administrators have on this topic. I’m excited to hear more about this topic!

13. David Zarco on November 28th, 2017 10:03 am

I’ve heard my fair share of stories about spirits roaming east. I never did believe in the supernatural until i experienced it on my own. It’s actually amazing to hear these types of stories, but at the same time it’s pretty frightening. If there is such a thing as a terrible spirit i wouldn’t want to be around it. Still haven’t had any supernatural experiences at east yet.

14. Carolina Gutierrez on November 28th, 2017 11:02 am

This school is definitely haunted, especially the auditorium. Sometime you hear things move or maybe you’ll see a shadow pass by and when you go check it out no one is there. Some people say they get chills if they stand in a certain spot to long.

15. Alexander Raldiris on November 28th, 2017 11:12 am

Wow this is crazy. I mean this school is very old so i could get that spirits would haunt the school. Maybe the old alumni wanted to see they’re school again. And they’re posterity could be in the school.

16. Lizbeth Ruiz on November 28th, 2017 12:21 pm

I spend most of my time down in the Chodl Auditorium and the only strange encounter I have witnessed was when my two friends were taking a picture and third face appeared. The weirdest part was the face looked a bit like me, but i was no where near when the picture was taken. During the time I spend in the theatre I do believe that something lurks there. Who knows if its director Drews or if its something else, I only hope they do not come to harm anyone. This piece is very credible to me in the belief of spirits and the chance that Morton East is haunted by my experiences but by also other people encounters and knowledge that is reported here.

17. Israel Estrada on November 28th, 2017 1:02 pm

The subject of ghosts ans spirits can be debatable because of the different perspectives on things such as haunting. I personally am in the middle because it is mostly people saying that it is a rumor and rumor is just a rumor. Also, my niece believes that my house is haunted due the “people walking in the attic” but I know that it is just the pipes settling and the fact that my house is around 80 years old so it creaks a lot. But even if I say stuff like this, I still feel like I’m being watched whenever I’m alone in my attic. I think I can feel ghosts presence because when I went to the holocaust museum, the have the cart where they said it was actually used and the second I got in there, it felt like I had a thousand eyes watching me but I couldn’t look back because no one was there.

18. Estephanie on November 28th, 2017 2:37 pm

I believe that there are no ghosts or spirits haunting the school. First, I am a skeptical person, I need to see something to believe it. In my time in Morton East I haven’t experienced anything close to paranormal, no odd sounds or sights so this only makes me more doubtful of these rumors. Regarding the photograph I believe that this is something similar to the Rorschach test, people see something from nothing, it is merely their imagination that causes them to see the things they want to see.

19. Javier Rodriguez on November 28th, 2017 2:40 pm

I honestly think the scariest thing about this is that some people refuse to believe that ghosts are indeed haunting the school. It’s highly possible that all of these stories are true. Maybe there are spirits roaming the halls near the cafeteria, or pulling the curtains in he auditorium. Either way, I think it’s safe to say that anything involving the supernatural is something special to believe in. While, again, people may not believe in these things at first, I personally have gone through something similar here at East. I was leaving my chemistry classroom when there was a feminine crying voice coming from the stalls in the boys bathroom, and when I entered to witness what had been going on, no one was there! I personally also think that if there are spirits in this school, its really upsetting that they aren’t able to move on to a better place.

20. Natalie on November 28th, 2017 6:42 pm

I really like this article because I love scary and creepy stuff but I have not yet encountered something paranormal but if I did, then my mixed feelings about ghosts and stuff will change! I also spend time in the auditorium for my elective class but have not seen or heard anything but I have heard a lot of the kids from school saying how haunted this school is.

21. Claudia Gonzalez on November 28th, 2017 6:45 pm

I haven’t experienced a paranormal activity at Morton. But I do believe in ghost, spirits and supernatural human beings. During supervision my friends and I experienced a creepy situation. My friend was taking a picture on Snapchat and when she did a weird face appeared. There is no filter that looks like the face in the picture, but then again it could have been her phone tweaking. Furthermore I find all these stories really interesting and the amount of people that have experienced a paranormal activity and who believe are greater than what I expected. Over all I do believe in supernatural being and all that but I don’t think they want to harm any human because if they did they would have done it already. I also think that these article is really interesting.

22. Naa A Anum on November 28th, 2017 7:04 pm

I actually have heard a lot about the stories of Morton East being haunted. But I am dubious that ghosts even exist. First and foremost, I can go with fact that spirits exist but not the same about ghosts. I would say that people tend to imagine things that do not exist from mere things. And they are usually boosted with morale by the word that goes around about that particular topic. For example, in the picture that was taken by a security guard, people let their imagination run wild and start to see things based on the scary feeling of the stories of Morton East being hunted is supposed to portray. All in all, let us say spirits are real and are there to make sure that everything is going on smoothly, but ghosts are just an extension of people’s imagination of viewing certain things that they assume are the right or normal way to view them.

23. darius cabrera on November 29th, 2017 5:51 pm

The idea of ghosts can be debatable because of the multiple points of view on things such as people faking an encounter and sometimes people would believe it. I personally debating because some stories can be really believable. When I was little my mom said i always was talking to someone but there was no one there which creeps me out.

24. Zuzel Garcia on November 29th, 2017 6:44 pm

I do believe that there are spirits haunting the auditorium and the school in general. As a part of Theatre Club, I have spent a vast majority of my time in the auditorium, usually staying until 9 to 10 pm building the sets or rehearsing our lines. I have experienced several of these apparitions before. I have never been more terrified. I have seen shadows walking around the balcony of the auditorium. Most speculate that Mr. Drews haunts this place. However, I believe that he is a warm welcoming spirit that will cause no harm. He just comes back to visit. As a spirit, he has unfinished business. He never saw his own production of the musical West Side Story. When show days become closer, spirits start revealing themselves to us. This is not a figment of my imagination. These things do exist.

25. Kiara Grear on November 29th, 2017 9:23 pm

I definitely believe in spirits and ghosts, but i think ghost are more friendly. Rather than spirits who are around to actually haunt. I heard that the pool is also haunted by a boy that drowned years ago. When i had went to see the movie “mama” in the East auditorium i was positive that i heard someone whisper in my ear. I thought i heard the voice say “what are you doing?” while i was on my phone. But, when i freaked out and told my friends they laughed at me and told me i was being over dramatic. another really scary thing that happened to me at east was when i first went there and i started exploring the building. I ended up on the stage of the auditorium alone. I didn’t see anyone there but i felt like i was being watched.

Esmeralda De Santiago Reply:

Wow, I’ve heard about the story of the boy drowning too! They closed that pool and there is now a new pool open for the students. I’ve heard someone crying or breathing heavy in the 3rd floor bathroom while being in there alone and since then I haven’t gone to that bathroom.

26. Emilie Ramos on November 29th, 2017 9:43 pm

I have heard about George Drew’s story plenty of times before. Although I have not experienced anything abnormal/paranormal myself, I do believe that there are ghosts and spirits that are haunting the school. Morton East is a pretty old school so it’s not shocking for me to be hearing this. I used to spend time after school in the auditorium and I do have to say that I feel a negative energy when I’m there as cliche as it is. I have never seen evidence of Drew’s ever, so seeing the picture in this article really makes me think that his presence is still here.

27. Pablo Ceballos on November 29th, 2017 10:47 pm

The idea of spirits in a school is entertaining. You would think this is something that would happen in movies or shows, but this might be actually real! My sister, who attended Morton and was in Folklore for 2 years had friends who experienced some paranormal things during practices. The group of friends would hear things in the distance or by the curtains when rehearsing a dance of some kind. Hearing their stories was amazing and now reading more about this makes me think there might be something haunting Morton East.This is something to definitely think of when attending the auditorium.

28. Jeremy Cabrera on November 30th, 2017 12:00 am

I am very dubious over the supernatural due to how many faked encounters I’ve witnessed. Even though I am the type of person to turn off the light of my basement and then sprint upstairs because of my fright, I still find the supernatural not credible. I don’t think the school is school is haunted but then again Morton is one of the oldest in the state, and I haven’t been in the auditorium too often . So I may never know if the stories are true.

29. Jimmy Aguirre on November 30th, 2017 3:13 am

I think it’s interesting how many students believe that Morton is haunted. The smallest thing could show signs to being haunted. I haven’t seen any evidence of this the few times I’ve been in the auditorium. However, there is still a chance of it being haunted. Whether the stories are true or not, they give off something interesting to know about the school’s auditorium. A bad side of this could be that people might play jokes on others who believe this. That might hurt their feelings or cause them to be upset.

30. Arturo Acevedo on November 30th, 2017 4:12 am

I think it would not be a surprise if Morton East is haunted, although I don’t believe much in ghost because I haven’t had any experiences with spirits or supernatural beings I do believe that the ghosts in the auditorium are around because I’ve had friends from theater show me some pictures of ghost.

31. Jocelyn Rios on November 30th, 2017 6:17 am

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is, I mean after all it is an old school. I have herd many stories of people saying that Morton East is hunted but the real question is, is it really? It’s hard to tell when many students tell you many different stories. They all can’t be true. Although this story may or may not be real, I have to admit that it is a good one, I really enjoyed reading it. I honestly wonder what started the theory that Morton was hunted, and based on what I hear, it was a long time ago.

32. Jocelyn Rios on November 30th, 2017 7:28 am

i have herd so many stories of Morton East being hunted and i have never believed it is true. I have herd so many stories that i come to think it is made up. although there is a huge chance that it is not hunting, there is a chance it is. the fact that it is really old and sometimes the lights flicker makes everything seem more like a scary movie. also this is one of the best stroies,of this topic, that i have herd to far, really liked it.

33. bernardo on November 30th, 2017 9:55 am

This school is haunted. I’m a believer in the super natural and by the stories my friends been telling me and I realize this school is haunted. I’ve gone to the auditorium in many occasions and i don’t if my eyes were playing tricks on me but i swear to go I’ve seen lights flicker and shadows move by. My friends in theater are telling me that they’ve seen the paranormal and that abnormal things like doors just slamming have been happening.

34. Jocelyn Rios on November 30th, 2017 10:24 am

i have heard so many stories of Morton east being hunted and i would not be surprised if it is. the school is old and sometimes the lights tempt to flicker. i haven’t seen a ghost in the school but many students claim they have. i don’t know if its true or if its a lie but either way it is pretty interesting. i have herd of a person who died here at Morton but i am not sure if it is true, who knows. it would be scary if it is true tho, knowing that a ghost could be right behind you. also this is a really great article so great job who ever wrote it 🙂

35. Lightning on November 30th, 2017 12:06 pm

This building is really old so i wouldn’t really be surprised if they’re is some spirits or ghost roaming the building. So there is a high chance of these ghost stories being true considering this school opened around 1920 or so. And ive heard that it gets cold when a ghost or spirit is around so if there is a cold place in this school its probably a ghost since this place doesn’t have AC.

36. Zayda Guzman on February 6th, 2018 11:09 am

I actually believe there’s something spooky going on in this school. The auditorium gives me the chills for sure and I think there’s something hiding in the shaadows for sure.

37. Esmeralda De Santiago on February 6th, 2018 12:04 pm

I honestly love this article only because I’ve heard my mother talk about some of these stories and as well as my two older sisters who graduated from Morton East. I’ve never actually heard anyone else speak up on the haunting happening or their experiences with anything at east, so by reading this I now know that other people have had personal experiences and spoke about it.
    I’m not entirely surprised about it either because the school is old and there has been deaths there.

[Reply]

Is Morton East High School really haunted?